Tascam 788

st james

Hi Guys.......
Totally new to this forum but have purchased a Tascam 788 which I'm told is the dogs dangly bits!!!!
Bought the CD/R unit to go with it.
If I can bore you all......been playing for 35 years and my (old) recording was done on a two track Sony880/2 which had a dub system whereas the record head split into a playback so you played in time withyourself but was 70s era.
Have sort of played with digi but never owned one till now.
So......45 year old Virgin!!!!! and need help.
Plan to play from a Vetta II HD head and intend to purchase a drum machine (of which I will need advice)....so please bear with my terrible dribbiling!!!!
Just want to make contact with folks who know better than me before I sit and make multitudes of cock-ups.......which will happen, I know!!
Great to know you lot are out there if and WHEN I need help
Instruction book needs Physics PHD so would much rather ask advice.
Great to make contact...........wait for the tears!!!!????!!!
Kind regards
Chris.

I heard the 788 & 788CDR was really the bee's knees!

The 788 is supposed to be as user friendly as any other traditional analog Porta-, but it obviously has a level of gadgetiness that all digital recording brings along with it.

All in all, it sounds fine!

Good luck with your purchase, and recording hobby!

Hi Chris, I use a 788 it's good machine you should have alot of fun with it. I used to use a drum machine as well which was okay for a while but i never really got the results I wanted. If you have access to a half decent PC I would highly highly recommend Drums on demand. Pro session drum loops - honestly they have made such a difference for me and they cost less than a drum machine as well. Wey hey

http://www.drumsondemand.com

Hi Vaporpark, I'm writting my DOD drum track in nuendo foming basic rhythm tracks for songs (BASS, Kboard etc) . The PC is midi sync'd to the 788 (through audiophile 24/96) So when I want to record vocals or a Guitar amp or acoustic guitar I midi the song track down to the 788 on say trks 7 and 8 and then Record loads of lovely vocal / Guitar tracks away from my noisey computer. When I'm done I midi 788 back to computer and record my new tracks into neundo. Fantastic.

Tascam

Hey thanks guys
Great to know many out there know what they are talking about.
I will now play safe in the knowledge that when I cock-up, answers will be readily available.
Kind regards

Hey St James.. good purchase the 788.. I also use a drum machine and can get some half decent reults. I break up the individual drum sounds, bass, snare, hi hats etc etc and stick them onto individual tracks. that way you can then mix them with effects (or not) and bounce them onto a stereo pair. I usually record them all dry and then tweak them, can be time consuming but if your not a drummer (as Im not) its a good way of getting a good drum sound
I use a A boss 670, also use the computer for some different drums as well... good to have options huh
P.S. if you try this, make sure you label all the virtual tracks you use appropriatly, otherwise will confuse the *##* out of things.
Good luck... Zeek

S.C.U.D said:
Hi Chris, I use a 788 it's good machine you should have alot of fun with it. I used to use a drum machine as well which was okay for a while but i never really got the results I wanted. If you have access to a half decent PC I would highly highly recommend Drums on demand. Pro session drum loops - honestly they have made such a difference for me and they cost less than a drum machine as well. Wey hey

http://www.drumsondemand.com

Thanks for the link, S.C.U.D.! That's the info on grabbing .wav files for moving to the PC via CD. Cool.

Edit: I don't know how I did this- it makes no sense... sorry for the detour, folks. :confused:

Please ignore my previous post, it incorrectly makes me appear a complete idiot. I am anything but complete. I got confused, it had been a long day.

I did, however, check out that Drums on Demand, and it looks very cool- esp. in the Multitrack mode. Thanks for posting the link, S.C.U.D.

Back