Tascam 688 wont rewind.

Jmackenzie

Hi again good people. In trying to get my 688 working again, i replaced the capstan belt last night, without too much difficulty, thanks to good instructions on here from heatmiser on this forum. Now it plays, FFW, Pause, Stop, but won't rewind. When I had it apart, I did think there was an odd looking bit of black plastic on the side of a motor, which may have been a melted wire ? Do these machines have separate motors for FFW and Rewind? I will take it apart once again, but not sure what I am looking at really. I am almost positive that rewind and fast forward did work before I replaced the belt ( The machine would not play, due to broken belt,), but all other functions seemed OK . Seems very weird, as I was very careful when doing this work, without disturbing any connections. Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks .
john

Just to update this post. After taking this apart again, and checking motors etc, i could find no obvious fault. When I put it back together, the problem was still there. BUT, after a few presses of the rewind button , it started working. I noticed that I needed to press it down near the bottom and to the left hand side. It is still not perfect, but at least it does work !!. There might also be a slight delay after pressing the button , before it starts the rewind. Maybe a weak capacitor or dry joint would cause this. Happier now.

Back