Tascam 688 loud Noise problem

talldrummer

Hi .....new guy in ..Go easy on me ...lol .. I need advice or opinions from Tascam 688 owners/users please... I just bought a 688 from the Original owner, a bunch of Pro Maxell tapes......... several pro co snakes and the manual. For $325.00.....
This 688 is super clean out and Visually in head area.......... Get it home Testing stage, It appears to be functioning 100% of what I have demanded of it so far ......Simple testing record play stuff, checking with SM 57 mic............
I noticed that the 688 was LOUD way louder than I thought it should be .....specially for recording in the *same room.......
The NOISE sounds to be like a loud Motor Hum/growl near transport section and even causing it to appear to travel Via vibration of the sheet metal (above or perhaps inside) towards the back near the power supply plug in right corner below the vent openings.....It does NOT sound like Grinding plastic gears etc
Several layman things I notice about the loud noise ............
It can be buffered or absorbed slightly pending on where you place down or hold your hands flat or squeezing/pushing/pulling slightly , On the silver colored under bottom side or On top of the machines actually Black body or casing ..
But again Most Noise and Vibrations seem to be at the CAPSTAN or under it?.
Then seems to travel back to REAR right corner @power supply plug & top vents......
Then I noticed when I switch the Variable Motor speed to vary at the lowest speed ........
The Noise and growling reduces in Decibels and in hollow metal Vibration sounds in relation to the motors speed ......
Set at slowest speed = The lowest Noise/growl/ vibration.
When speed is switched from slowest variable up to *fixed position ...It then Returns to loudest Noise /Hum/growl.....
BUT The transport functions correctly.........No speed slips wows or flutters.......
I also noticed when cleaning the Capstan motors post with 99% alcohol when Appling a modest bit of pressure to the Capstan post with the Q-tip and finger .......
The Noise reacts in reducing to match the speed my finger pressured resistance I am causing at cleaning point..........
So This should lead me to believe ?
It is *solely the Capstan Motor ITSELF? with LOUD signs of it being on its way out or SHOULD be replaced?
*Or is it possible that inside underneath the Capstan or transport section ( @ The loudest point + The most muffled point when using hand pressure to absorb Vibration or NOISE ) Some kind of sheet metal or tin is RESTING against the Capstan Motor or extremely close to it ?
Maybe someone has experienced the same problem ?
I hope I explained myself well enough? THANK YOU for listening FRAN
Oh , I also grabbed a New BELT for 4.95$ free shipping .....Figured IF and WHEN I have to go in there ? Replace that too?

Hello sir: Yes I did, from standing position leaning down in towards the capstan post TIP in the transport bay....I used a tooth pick with oil on end and applied it to the base of the capstan post where it meets the bearing....... So Far it has shown no difference in NOISE....I didn't put a lot of oil because I didn't know if it was a sealed bearing or not and did not want to flood out something under the bottom of capstan or anything connected to it such as rubber etc..

Hey - I replied to your PM so check that, but I'm afraid your problem is beyond my limited expertise.

I say open it up and have a look around for something obviously wrong.

You might try the Analog Only forum as that sees more traffic, but the last few 688 threads I've seen there haven't yielded too much advice. Good luck!

Did you find a fix for this? I have the same problem with my 644.

Did you find a fix for this? I have the same problem, and I'm not sure what to do.

Back