Tascam 688 as interface to digital?

golygi

I just inherited (band broke up) a nice studio-quality computer, the protools interface went with one of the other guys. Is there any way to use my 688 as the interface? It has a 15 pin port on the back, but I've been told that I'll have to use a USB converter. Not at all sure that it will work. Anybody have any (even brief) comments or advice? I'm new to digital. Any help much appreciated, thnks

The 688 is a purely analog device in terms of the recorder section and the mixer section. There is midi mute automation functionality for the mixer section but that is the extent of digital control as far as I know.

What that multi-pin connection is on the back is for externally syncing the 688 deck up to external devices like midi sequencers or other multitrack recorders to gain additional recording tracks.

I have never heard of anyone successfully converting that output into a USB connection and having your computer run the transport but then, I haven't spoken to every mad scientist on the planet either! And basically, that who it would take to do it as that was never the original design intension as far as I am aware.

TASCAM did make a product called the MTS-1000 which was an external synchronizer/controller which could take it's commands from midi signals or SMPTE time code of a striped track on the tape recorder section of the 688. That's the only machine I am aware of that would plug into that Accessory connector.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! My other option is a Sea Sound interface, but there would be no support as they are now out of business. I wonder if I could find the drivers online and try to fake it?

Back