Tascam 688 erase head not working

king_chubby

I recently purchased a Tascam 688. I replaced the capstan belt in it and it works great, except that there is something funny with the erase head. It seems to not completely erase what's on the tape when I try to record over it. The old signal is definitely diminished in volume but it is not entirely gone, enough so that it's completely unusable for redoing a take.

I'm not super savvy with cassette technology, so I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas for what might be wrong? I've made sure the head is nice and clean so it can't be that. Perhaps the erase head is not positioned correctly? Let me know if you have an idea!

Check if it is really erasing or just layering sounds, and clean the heads again....
It happens on all tracks?

Make sure you are using the correct tape formulation.The 688 is set up for Type II CR02 tape.Erase heads don't go out of alignment unless there is physical damage.

Had experience with mt50 (i know its completely different beast, but...). There is master oscillator + each channel oscillator + bias. All are trimpots. It took me about a week of constant fiddling to get it to erase properly. Its best to give it professional service, if not - buy service manual (+ tools like oscilloscope+ loads of free time). I wouldn't recommend in any way doing it diy. 688 is a professional tool, treat it accordingly

Back