tascam 488 tape running slow

7drummer

hi guys, newbie to forum. have a tascam 488 i got new around 1992? used it for many recordings, worked fine. did not use it for the last 8 years, was stored clean, heated, covered. went to use it yesterday, tape plays but dragging or motor running slow. tried several different tapes, all the same result. tapes were stored in the same room. don't know if its the tapes, or machine problem. would like comments on what to do to find problem. thanks. 7drummer.

hey boulder, you were rite on, changed the belt,treated the pinch roller, cleaned, micro drop of syn oil, de-maged, and all is well in ananlog land! thanks for the info. RSK out!

Thanks for posting this. Sounds like what I'm dealing with. Got a 488 off eBay. It played really slow then stopped, I changed the capstan belt, which helped, it would play normal for a few minutes then slow down. 7drummer, what did you use to treat the pinch roller?

Looking for help with cleaning and what not, im with brent on wanting to know how to clean them. I have a similar problem and im trying to troubleshoot with my 488mkii

Back