Tascam 488 questions - HELP

stevied

I am new to using 8 tracks! I just purchased a Tascam 488 , I believe it's the older version and not the II. I have used Tascam and other 4 tracks in the past and have a pretty good idea on operating them. I do have a few questions on the 8 track if someone could help. 1. Do I for each track I record set the pans at L,R,L,R...and so on for each track? 2. Do I need a power amp to run this machine or is it self powered ? 3.Can I use monitors while recording so I don't have to use headphones? 4. Where can I find a manual on the web for free download or does someone have a copy for a small fee? I have not recieved the unit yet that's why I have these questions and I want to be prepared. Thanks!

www.geocities.com/steve_dowdle

Attachments

• newblckbnnr.jpg
    newblckbnnr.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 209
Mine came with a power cord. So I guess thats self powered.

Yes you can use monitors. Shii, You can plug a pair of speakers into the phone jack if you really have to. But yes its possible.

I've been searching for a manual this WHOLE week. No happs. Cant find one. Ill continue to look, but I think your best bet is to purchase one. Try www.ebay.com

Good luck
Smoove

Thanks! I do hear that they are fairly simple to run if you have a little knowledge with multitrack recorders. If you happen to come across a manual email me and I will do the same. Thanks again!

Yea they are. If you learn quick and can figure out things on your own (trial & error) then it wont be hard. The 488 is not hard to use at all, but there are certain details that people need to know that would be in the manual. Ill definately email you one. I would email everybody one who needs it. Lots of people do

But you'll be aight. Just play around with it. Good luck homie ;]

Stevied.....

....just a hint - how about attaching a sig image that doesn't blow the margins of the page, causing users to have to scroll horizontally to read the post.......

i have just recently bought a 488 off the internet and have tried recording on track 1 using a mic and then trying an electric guitar.i hear it clear in my headphones whilst recording but when it come to listening to the recording it seems really distant as if the volume is right down.hopefully i am doing something wrong but have followed the instructions.any advice would be appreciated .

thanks
leckie

Re: Stevied.....

Blue Bear Sound said:
....just a hint - how about attaching a sig image that doesn't blow the margins of the page, causing users to have to scroll horizontally to read the post.......

sorry about that

Re: 488

leckie said:
i have just recently bought a 488 off the internet and have tried recording on track 1 using a mic and then trying an electric guitar.i hear it clear in my headphones whilst recording but when it come to listening to the recording it seems really distant as if the volume is right down.hopefully i am doing something wrong but have followed the instructions.any advice would be appreciated .

thanks
leckie

try adjusting the trim knob at the top. the knob is at the top of track 1 and 2. You can turn it towards line or mic. If you turn the knob towards mic the signal gets louder. Adjust your track and main levels. But when recording watch, make sure you monitor the groups that have instruments/mics in them to make sure your not recording 'hot' tracks (too loud). Good luck.

more help

I recieved the 488 today and played around with it for awhile , I think I am making it a little harder than it is....anyways someone help please. I recorded some acoustic tracks on track 1 then a second guitar part on track two but I am getting alot of hiss while playing back , how do I correct this? Here is a couple more questions...the input assign (top of the board) should it be on mix or grp 1 , 2 and so on? The assign buttons (above level adjusters) could someone explain those? When I am recording does the tape knob have to be on 0 or does it go on mix/cue? I know these probably sound like silly questions but I just purchased this and basically have no idea on how to start out. (there was no manual) and yes it's from Ebay! I got a great deal on it. Like I said in the beginning I have alot of experience with a 4 track but all these damn buttons are throwing me off.If anybody can help me get started out and give me some basic pointers I would be very greatful! Thanks !

Q: I recorded some acoustic tracks on track 1 then a second guitar part on track two but I am getting alot of hiss while playing back , how do I correct this?

A: I used to get hiss when I first started using it too. I think it has to do with how high your levels are. I try to keep my tracks exactly or under the lines at around 8 on the faders when im recording to tape (also make sure the "tape" knob is turned to mix when you want to record to it). Any tracks that have nothing on them should be turned off before recording and the levels should be at 0. This is how I do it. Also make sure your using the tape type thats reccomended by tascam for the 488. You can find that on this page about 488's i think.

Q: the input assign (top of the board) should it be on mix or grp 1 , 2 and so on?

A: When I record, I switch the input assign to mix. Im not totally sure what happens when you switch to grp1, grp2, etc.

Q: The assign buttons (above level adjusters) could someone explain those?

A: I think the assign buttons have to do with being able to adjust levels seperately by group. Say you assign track 1 to group 1/2. Now if you adjust the 1/L - 2/R main level fader, your controlling the tracks that are assigned to grp 1/2. Now say you assigned track 2 to group 3/4, now you can adjust the 3/4 main level for that group. That may not be it...It may have some other use. But thats what I believe....

Q: When I am recording does the tape knob have to be on 0 or does it go on mix/cue?

A: When your recording you want the knob on mix. When your done recording and you like what you hear on that track, turn it to cue so you wont record anything over it (only when your finished with that track). Now if your ready to record more tracks and you want to hear what you've recorded on say, track 1 without recording over it, turn the cue level knob up until its loud enough for you. You might even have to press the cue button under the "Monitor" section...

I learned the same way man...I didnt have a manual either. But the learning curve on this thing is excellent. Its not hard to use at all. I learn a lot by trial and error. I hope this helped out a little. By me not having the manual, I only know what I've learned on the way. These buttons and knobs may have much more use, but I think this will help you

Good Luck!!

thanks

Thanks for the tips , it cut back quite a bit of the hiss but it's still there some , I had a hell of a time finding regular c 60 tapes , I did pick up some c60 high fidelity's , could that be part of the hiss possibly (using hf tapes)? The more I monkey with it the better it's sounding though. Another small question,when mixing ...Do I take it completley out of cue mode and adjust the levels on the top (mix) and use the faders? Wish I had a damn manual! If the guy that said he's copy the manual for me reads this email me , I still want to purchase a copy , accidently the email was deleted so I know longer have the address.Thanks!

thank you

Thank you for the info , I don't mean to be rude but I was only on the net for a second yesterday. I really do apprieciate it! Sorry for the delay.

stevied, that link you provided was a little helpfull, but i found alot of the information about micing a drumset and amplifier to be wrong.

Hi Gents!

I tried to post some info, but apparently took too much time.

I scanned the Mark II Portastudio User Manual, but my ISP won't allow that much. I scanned it at a high rate so the printouts would be clear. A 19mb file.

My daughter is a web guru who owns webspace, I will post the manual in a few days after she sets up a new website.

Keep pluggin', bro. I'm analogging right there with ya!

RB Byrd

The Mound, TX

Thanks!

That's great! Thank You! Let me know the link when it's up and running, I'm sure it will help me do alot more with the unit that I don't know about. I am getting the basics , still trying to figure out how to mix to another tape without it going just through one side. The more I use it , the more I learn though. Thanks again!

Back