Tascam 414MKII AC adapter (PS-414)

Noplasticrobots

Hi, I'm new to the forums and hope someone can help me! I am borrowing a friend's Tascam 414MKII to make my first home recordings. Only problem is, the AC adapter has gone waywardly to Florida with another friend by accident. I tried plugging it into a Yamaha AC adapter, but realized the polariy is reversed for the Tascam PS-414. Now most of you know that Tascam has a warning against using any other adapters for their product. I don't know if this is toal BS or not so I looked into it. I couldn't find anything specific to tascam, but in general it seems that some say you can use any other adapter, as long as everything matches up. I was thinking about buying a universal adapter so the size and polarity can be switched at will. So what I'm getting at is, can a universal adapter be used in accordance with a tascam 414MKII? Thanks for any help. I'm anxious to start recording.

Great! Thanks. I know it needs 12v of DC to run (at least the manual has the jack labeled as "DC in 12v". However I don't know the current. Can anyone poot forth any details? Sorry for the questions, i just wanna make sure I don't blow out a borrowed 4 track.

Deja vu all over again

This was all thrashed out on the now defunct Tascam BBS. I forgot the current, bur I believe it was between one and two amps. Get a surplus switching power supply that can deliver two amps to be sure. Most wall-warts can't deliver that much current.

I think the Mark II was more. In any case, with a switching power supply (computer suplus - about $8) you can't have too much current. They are well regulated, unlike most wall-warts.

Back