Tascam 388 hook up

arabyserpent

i'm looking for the link-up equipment to connect two Tascam 388 tabletop console machines so i can run them together as a 16 track. anybody know where i can find this gear?

Me too!

I bought 4 388's, with the same intentions!

So far, I've not achieved this lofty goal.

I know you'd need an appropriate SMPTE sychronizer and cables.

I've ventured to start on this project, by scoring a Fostex 4030/4035 Synchronizer/Controller, but I found out too soon that there's a specialized Fostex-to-Tascam adapter needed, the Fostex 8785 Interface, which is a seldom seen and hard to get item.

I think, in my own case, if I'd successfully score the Fostex 8785's, I'd be good to go on the 388-megaplex-sync project, using the Fostex synchronizer.

Otherwise, I'd recommend researching vintage TASCAM synchronizers, and you'd probably simplify the task, greatly, by sourcing a Tascam-to-Tascam compatible solution. I'm not familiar enough with Tascam Synchronizers to quote model numbers, but I'll throw in, to the best of my recollection, the Tascam ATS-500 and the Tascam IF-500. Verify those model numbers before purchase.

When I have time, I'll research and post more. I'd love to do this, 388-sync, as much or more than anyone on this board.

Thanx

Hey Reel

The more I read the manual and look at the cable chart for the machine Im not so sure you need a sycronizer to do what we want with the 388.
I think the syncronizer would on be good if we wanted to run keys and computers with the machine and needed sypmte and midi.
From what i read in the manual the 388 sends a control signal that can be read and reiceved that should control one unit to the other.
But I may be reading it wrong. :confused:

I wish there was someone that could tell for sure but I dont know where to go to find out.
One thing that concerns me about the whole thing is that tascam didnt even mention this possibility in the manual.
It makes me wonder if maybe they tried it and it didnt work well cause I can see where tape would be a problem to get to sync that close or they just didnt think of it.
WE need a tascam tech from the good ole days when Recorders where recorders instead of typwriters.

Ok, say, like a point-to-point umbilical cable.

It's worth checking out further.

There is a custom cable company that I saw in the back of Tape Op magazine, or however good your soldering skill are, you're welcome to go right to it. Whip up a 32-pin cable w/Elco connectors!

Just, hook up the cable, put one on FIXED and one on EXT, and press a button, huh? Sounds too easy!

I'll check into it more, however, any of the [Fostex] manuals I've read have a synchronizer unit between the analog tape drives.

I don't doubt that a point to point solution may be possible for the Tascam 388s, and it requires more investigation. It definitely outputs and reads SMPTE, and it would probably require a cross-over cable.

Then again, I'm not sure it's as simple as that. It bears further investigation. They both have to be striped with SMPTE timecode, and one has to control the other, but .... may require an intervening device, which locates the second one. I'll go to the manual, now, & read it again.

Let me know whatever else you may find out about sync'ing the 388.

Thanks

Last edited:
From what I have read in the manual a point to point will not work.
One end would have to be wired differantly than the other.
The manual says the machine outputs a signal to tell other machines where the motors are located (even in fast forward or Reverse I think it said)
And all the transport and controls are sent and reiceved on that jack.

We need more info man!

i have one of those lovely 388s as well and would like to control it via mmc (midi mashine control). is it possible with the ats-500? and what about the if-500? i've seen it for about 30 euros, whereas the ats seems to be quite expensive. can anybody tell the difference?
cheers.

I suspect that to link up two 388's will require the use of
1) an external syncronizer and 2) sacrificing a track on each one to provide a place for the control feedback signal. You are asking to sync the tools toether, which means one must act as the "master" and control the motor speed and functions on the other, the "slave". A simple cable between the two does not have anyhting to reference from. and the 388 doesn't have the brains to control another machine. Thats why syncronizers were invented.

Find a remote control for two, a single remote control is available on ebay. It plugs in the back and like a tv wireless controller you control your model 38! Do you know where I can get Tascam parts ! thanks James, javakian1@gmail.com

Back