Tascam 38 woes

elmerfunk

To Infinity..and Beyond!!
I just bought a Tascam 38 off of ebay (i can hear the oooos). The guy had 100% feedback and the unit was clean. Heads are in great shape. There are 2 problems. 1. The pinch roller is shot....the rubber is like tar. 2. I think it needs a new drive belt. I say I think it does because the drive shaft is not turning. I have the front panel off and I think the belt is stretched out. Let me make sure that it is routed right. Does the belt just go around the drive motor pulley and the shaft pulley? There is no other idler pulley of any kind is there? If that is the case then I need a new belt. My next question is can I change this bad boy myself? I already have the front panel off...how hard is the belt change? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Yes if you got the front panel off ok you shouldnt have to much trouble changing the belt.
You can change the belt by taking the screws out of the head asembly. I think there are 4 or five of them and you can slip the belt under there and place it on the rollers.
And yes it just goes around the motor pulley and the capstan pulley.
It will only take a couple of minutes to do it.
Make sure you have the proper size phillips screwdriver for this and keep it straight up and down. You will probably have to push down pretty hard on the screws while turning to get them out. For some reason tascam put pretty soft screws in there so be careful with them.
Also tascam has that belt and a new roller. It will cost about 60.00 for the two items from tascam with shipping and everything.
Before you order that belt though I would make sure the capstan motor works by turning the machine on and lifting the right tape tension arm to see if the motor rotates.
I had a 38 show up at my door in the same condition and had never worked on one before so I understand your feelings. But its a great unit and you will enjoy it once you get it going.
One other thing I would check while it is apart and that is I would pull the bottom plate off and make sure all of the channel cards are seated well, Just push them some to make sure they are seated well They can loosen up in shipping and make some channels not work.

Herm,

Thanks for the info....I bought an actual Tascam belt on ebay for 21.50 with shipping and I have the high bid on a new pinch roller for 35.00 with 2 days to go. Hopefully I'll be up and going within the next 3 days. I'll check the channel cards as well. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

The capstan belt is a generic 14.5" projector/recorder belt, (total length), that's about 10mm wide and 1.5mm thick,... and costs about $3, as generic stock from your typical electronics parts store or VCR repair depot.
................ :eek:
... or try www.electronix.com and search "belts".;)

PS: Last time I bought a pinch roller from Tascam Parts, it was only $25.;)

elmerfunk said:
Herm,

Thanks for the info....I bought an actual Tascam belt on ebay for 21.50 with shipping and I have the high bid on a new pinch roller for 35.00 with 2 days to go. Hopefully I'll be up and going within the next 3 days. I'll check the channel cards as well. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

The belts and roller are cheaper from Tascam Parts than those I see on eBay.

eBay sellers thrive with this stuff as long as so few people know to try Tascam Parts first.

The last 22-4 I got off of ebay came with one of those "new" belts form one those ebay places that sells belts and it was not as wide or as heavy as a tascam belt. It worked but it was just a lighter weight.

You cant beat the real thing

Most often, I'll just measure the old belt with calipers,...

then subtract about a 1/2" in length to account for the stretch, then buy a PRB Co. (Projector/Recorder Belts, Inc.) belt that's exactly the same size. I've even memorized certain belt lengths.

244 = 12.7"
388 = 13.5"
38 = 14.5"

Sometimes, if in doubt, I'll buy a new belt from Tascam, then measure it and note the measurements for future reference.

If I'm not mistaken, Tascam sources it's belts from PRB. PRB belts may be found at www.electronix.com , many electronic stores or VCR repair shops.;)

Honestly, generic belts like that should cost about $3.50, more or less. ;)

Thanks Dave but i cant find those belts on that site. :rolleyes:

Could you give me a link for them?
Thanks

I'm sorry! That electronix dot com doesn't have practical sizes I'm talking about!!

So, scratch that!

I found a much better link!!

http://www.russellind.com/prbline/prblinecom_.htm

http://russellind.com/client/download/belts.pdf

They've got belts 'til the cows come home!

If somehow PRB doesn't work out, try:
http://www.beltsforanything.com/site68.php

The Russel Ind/PRB link should do'ya, 'cause they're the real deal!

No doubt, Tascam and other support places get their belts from PRB,...

& so do I! (I've gotten many PRB belts locally at an electonics component store).

Last edited:
OK on with the fun......I replaced the drive belt and the pinch roller. Transport functions are working great. Next problem....it plays back stuff that has already been recorded...but will not record anything. I have meter deflection...I'm recording in sync mode not input. Function light stays on and the meter moves, but nothing is getting to tape. Any ideas before I send this thing back to the owner??

OK lets get a little more in depth....Tracks 1-4 have meter deflection but record no sound. TRacks 5,6, & 8 have meter deflection and record sound. Track 7 no deflection no sound. HELP!!!!

Take out gun shoot self in head...................

Dave,

I took the bottom panel off and wiggled and reseated the audio cards. (I'm guessing.... not much movement there) Tracks 1-4 have meter deflection and sound at recording input, but no meter deflection or sound at play back. :mad: The function lights stay on as if it is in record mode. Tracks 5-8 including 7 now record and play back. Do you have any other ideas? :confused: Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again :)

Remove the audio cards, inspect the pins, then carefully reinsert the cards.

Sometimes just wiggling the cards isn't enough. The audio cards have a tendency to come partially unplugged during shipment. Sometimes pressing them down before removing them is a bad idea, as any cockeyed card that's just pressed in might damage it's own pins on the mother board. I'd say for thoroughness, given your problem description,... remove and reseat all the audio cards.

Then, you may want to remove the head cover and reseat the head connectors.;)

Dave,

To remove the cards completely....I need to remove the bottom panel and the metal holder and then pull them out straight? I'll take my time and check things out good. Thanks again. I really want to get this thing up and running. I appreciate it

It's been a long time, but...

I think to get to the bottom two cards, you may also have to remove the back cover.;)

Sleepless in Funkville

You are correct sir...............Well I pulled and reseated all the cards, reseated the head connectors, cleaned everything up again, and still the same results. There was a minor change in Track 4. I can hear just a little bit of recorded material with minimal meter deflection. The tape that he sent with the machine that has recorded material on it plays back with meter deflection on all 8 tracks. I don't think I am getting all the signal to the tape. It's probably tech time isn't it??? :eek:

It's hard to tell, but y'gotta cover all the basics.

It might help to double-check all your to- and from-connections between the tape drive to the mixer. F/I, if you miswire at that level, you may pump signal into the Outputs of the 38 & get a meter response, but nothing will record.

Okay, if ur in the Los Angeles area, you can bring the 38 over to my place & I'll take a look at it for free.;)

I was working real basic. One input connection from my sequencer directly to the deck and one output connection back to the mixer. I recorded a little and played back a little and then moved to the next track. I didn't have it all plugged up. I just had bear minimums at a table that I could do the intricate work at. I'm not ready to give up. Too bad I live in MI....for the price of a plane ticket I can get it looked at here. Thanks for the offer. Is it possible that it is all out of wack as far as calibration goes? I really wish I had the necessary tools to do the calibration. I am pretty electrically and mechanically inclined and could probably go the DIY way. I was reading the manual and it gives all the specifics on all the adjustments. Anyway is a bias, alignment, or calibration problem? I never really had to deal with this stuff in depth. I bought my 388 brand new and everything was taken care of for me. It never left the studio and never let me down. My Fostex E-16 was just calibrated and it never left the studio or let me down. These are uncharted waters for me. Thanks Dave you've been a big help and have kept me calm through this whole ordeal. It just another lesson in the learning curve....Thanks

I know you said the heads were nearly perfect,...

but you should revisit and double check any cleaning and/or scrubbing you may need to do to make sure the heads are spotlessly clean. A heavy layer of oxide (like sticky shed build-up) could interfere with the recording project,... maybe more than you think.

Back