Tascam 38 or TSR-8?

elmerfunk

To Infinity..and Beyond!!
I am currently in the market for an 1/2" 8 Track machine. I am curious if anyone has some recommendations on either the 38 or the TSR-8? What I want to do is sync it up to my Roland VS-1880 for drum tracks. The VS recognizes MTC what would I need to sync either tape deck to the VS? Anyway just looking for some insight on which deck might be better in my situation? Thanks

The 38 can do sync as "code-only master", as it doesn't have anything in the way of advanced sync features.

The TSR-8 has more advanced sync features built-in, is sync-plug-compatible, and can do master- and slave-sync, with the appropriate compatible SMPTE-to-MIDI synchronizer, such as the Tascam MTS-1000. ;)

So the 38 would work, but it could be used as the master only? I would still use the MTS-1000? How about the differences between the machines themselves as far as sound quality, reliability, etc.? I know the 38 has three heads where as the tsr-8 only has 2 how big of an issue is this? I've heard some horror stories about 38's... cold solder joints, etc. I had a 388 bought it brand new and logged a lot of hours on it. I am really sold on tascam as far as price and they seem to have great products. I sold the 388 and bought a Fostex E-16 because I wanted to move up to more tracks. I got some great sounding stuff, but the machine was being worked on more than it was being used. Anyway enough rambling....the VS-1880 replaced the fostex and I MISS ANALOG!!! I though maybe I could have the best of both worlds if I added an analog recorder and sync'd them together. Any more input you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time A Reel you seem to be well respected around here.

The 38 could output timecode to a PPS2 (or similar) and would not be fully compatible

with the MTS-1000.

The TSR8 would be the one to sync up fully via the MTS-1000.

I think the 38 sounds fine, and would be comparable to the TSR8 if you included the (2) DX-4D dbx NR units. Dbx is built-in to the TSR8.

The sound difference between the 38/DX-4D and TSR8 should be minimal, if any.

3-heads vs. 2-head recorders is more an issue of ease of calibration, than anything else. Also, the 3-head deck could be adapted as a quick repeat tape delay,... (think "bra-bra-bra-bra" as on the end of the David Bowie song "Big Brother", from the "Diamond Dogs" album),... as an advanced spl-efx technique.

The 38 is older than the TSR8, and basic logic might lead you to deduce that the average 38 has more usage than the TSR8, but that's not an iron clad rule. There are still many v-good condition 38's out there, if you shop hard enough.

The issue of cold solder joints is something I've heard discussed, but I've never had that problem with either of my 38's. I think shipping is the cause of many maladies that affect the 38, and other heavy tape drives in this class. Local pickup of such items is best, if you can swing it.

The 388 is a fine machine that's alone in it's class. It's well liked by most users on this board, including myself.;)

Ok A Reel,
I went about this bass ackwards as always. I didn't find this forum until after I made a purchase. I have acquired a 38 that looks to be in really good shape. Heads are clean and look to have lots of life left in them. Owner says he was meticulous in maintaining it. I also bought a Syncman MTC & SMPTE generator thinking that this would sync the 38 and the VS. They both should arrive here today. After talking with you it seems that this may not be the way to go. I am not a by the book kind of musician. I read articles on micing drums, getting good sounds, etc., but I can't tell you slew rates of amps, or SPL, or any of that technical stuff. I know what most of it means, I just know how to get good sounds from a machine. I have logged extensive hours on the 388 that I had and the E-16. I have yet to acheive anything close to those sounds with my VS. You can just pound analog and get great sounds. I am now completely re-thinking again. Should I sell the VS and buy an analog 16 again? The only thing I like about the VS is I can master right there and burn it to CD immediately without the need for any computer software. I have not even touched that aspect of recording. I am still in the caveman days of deck, mixer, patch bays, and effects. I just thought if I could add some analog to my existing set-up I might be able to get some better sounds. If I go the way of total analog again I would probably have to spend some money on software and that looks like it could be expensive. I was hoping that the 38 was just going to sync up and run with the VS. I can probably sell the 38 pretty easy in lieu of a tsr-8. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Also how can I post some music for you to check out? Thanks for your time

Yeah, you did fine, and you have more than adequate background in analog.

The 38 is a fine machine, as I have 3 of 'em,... although one was a UPS-smasher! :eek:

The 38 and Syncman should be able to drive your VS as "code only master", and that's a workable setup, AFAIK, although I don't know anything directly about the Syncman,... it sounds like it should do the job.

The 388's a great Porta-format recorder, and although I don't have & haven't worked with an E-16, they carry an excellent reputation in their class.

If u have extensive experience in analog recording, then you're way ahead of the game, 'cause many new HR members hit this board with questions,... and they're absolutely clueless!!

Heh,... no offense to all you clueless newbies! Y'gotta start somewhere,... and speaking for myself, I'm just as happy trading Q & A with clueless newbies as I am with old salts in analog.

So,... in summary,... I think you're on the right track. Getting a nicely kept & low use 38 is a great score!!!

/DA

A Reel,

Thanks for the help. I bought the 388 brand new in 1989 and sold it to buy the Fostex E-16 in 1995. I logged A LOT of hours on that 388 and came up with some really great sounds. Some of my experience came from reading, but 75% of it was trial and error and total experimentation. There's nothing like analog warmth and tape compression. While the Roland VS is a great all in one unit with effects and everything else, my drum tracks seem so lifeless. I'll try experimenting with the units when they get here. I got the 38 with no dbx, but I am watching 2 DX-4D units on ebay right now. Hopefully I can score those. Who knows if I'm not happy maybe I'll just ditch the VS and go for what I know. I am ready to dig in again. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

A Reel,
The 38 just arrived everything looks very clean and the heads look really good. Needs new pinch roller this one is like tar. I did not get the owners manual. Can you tell me how to change the pinch roller? I am watching an owners manual on ebay right now and I've seen pinch rollers on there too. If you can help I'd appreciate it.

Yeah, cool!

To remove the pinch roller, unscrew the cap, and be mindful of two tiny washers,... one on either side of the roller.

Tascam Parts probably still sells the pinch roller for the 38. Call them at (323) 727-4840.

I have a 38 and I am wondering if I can put it into my standard rackmount somehow. Do I need a special stand? Can I find rack ears?

Guy Lewis

Hey Guy
Congrats on your new 39 Man! Its a great machine, . .and you're in good hands here, . . .Most of the guys that hang out on the Tascam and Analog section of this forum are always eager to help out! 'Reel to reel' has held my hand and helped me through many, many Tascam and analog questions, . . :D

Anyway, here is a pdf page of one of the exploded views of the Tascam, . .it shows the Pinch Roller, collar bearing, and cap for the Pinch roller assembly. . . http://www.sessiondrums.com/38 Exploded.PDF It might help until you get the manual.

A Reel Person said:
Tascam Parts probably still sells the pinch roller for the 38. Call them at (323) 727-4840
Yep, this is true! I just recently purchased a pinch roller for a 38 from Tascam, and it was pretty cheap, . . I think 30-35 bucks. Part No. 580029150.

A Reel Person said:
To remove the pinch roller, unscrew the cap, and be mindful of two tiny washers,... one on either side of the roller.
Actually, Dave, . . I'm not a 100% sure, But I don't think that the 38 uses those 2 tiny washers for the on the top and bottom of the pinch roller, . . :confused: I think that they only use a 'bearing collar'. However, those tiny washers are installed on the top and bottom of the Tascam 388 pinch rollers. (Part No. 578531500, @ .40 each)

look at that, . .! Only a few years hangin out with these guys, and this forum has turned me into a fricken 'know-it-all' already :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back