Tascam 2488Neo Effects Question

bladerunner8801

With my old Tascam Porta 2 that I purchased in 1985, I always recorded with the inserted effects direct to tape and could play back the result right away on rewind, I am looking at the Tascam 2488Neo to replace the Porta 2 but I need to know can I connect an External Stereo Midiverb 4 effects device to the Tascam 2488Neo and record the inserted effects directly onto the tracks and be able to then instantly rewind and play back what I just recorded with the effects printed to the track?

Thanks Dale

Welcome to the digital age, most of the techniques you used on the old machine will transfer, except this one. The input section does allow inserting effects but you would need to route the returns to another input/channel/track from the processor to a track to record. If you need to record or print the effects it's easier to use a mic pre, external mixer or channel strip to feed the processor and then input it into the 2488neo. The inserts are really much more geared for adding effects in the mix stage.

Bassbrab

Thanks for the reply, thats a bit limiting for me since its what I am used to doing, I am now looking at a BR1600CD this seems to allow effects to be printed at the record stage but I could be wrong? will do more research and see what I can determine?

Regards Dale.

FWIW it's pretty hard to beat the utility of a Tascam 2488neo unless you go full hog into computer recording for a whole lot more $$.

You can print the effect by recording the returns of the ffect at the same time that you lay down the track. You'll then have 3 tracks (the instrument, and the the one or two tracks of effect, depending on whether it's a mono or stereo effect). You can leave them as is, or, if you want to free up tracks, bounce them all to one (mono) or two (stereo) tracks.

It's a rather dumb idea that Tascam decided to not let you record your effects easily. You should be able to record the effects along with the dry signal to a single track if that's what you desire, or to two tracks for stereo if that's what you desire. If the Tascam 2488NEO is able to do this, they sure don't explain it in the manual or in the video which I had to buy to figure this out (and which then didn't tell me). Musicians need to be involved in the design of these units instead of tech-heads, because tech-heads don't know how we will actually be applying their "improvements". ARGH!!!

Back