Tascam 244 Low Volume problem on recording

pperry

Hi I have an old Tasam #244 4-track Portastudio recorder I've used for years. I was trying it recently to use it to record to my PC soundcard using the headset out jack & a good stereo cable to the PC sound card. I posted a question on the Newbie board & a couple of people told me that its not good to use the headset out port, its better to use the out pins at back of my Tascam....like I used to do for mixdowns years ago. In the process of using this new connection I thought I had burnt out something by plugging it in to the headset jack but now I see it was just a loose connection on my mike.
Anyways I can wire this out from the Left & Right channel pins on the back of the Tascam and I see now that this will give me control of left & right volumes by panning so is certainly best way to go.
Now I have a general question. If I use the Tascam as my mike amp, mixer...say for 2 mikes and the equalizer, will this give as good sound recording quality as buying some new amp & other parts specially made for the purpose for home recording on the PC. I don't need anything fancy, just good solid quality I can record my songs on & send to friends by e-mail (the Super MP3 Pro $30 recorder shareware works well for this).
While writing this long lonnng :) description I may as well ask another question... can you suggest a good inexpensive program foer adding on reverb to the MP3 tracks recorded by the Super MP3 recorder...I'm looking for something that will make me sound like I can sing :D ..like singing in a large empty room with lots of echo..well reverb a better name for it.

Thanks

Phil

Using your TASCAM just for the mixer...

should work OK, if not better than a newfangled cheapie they sell nowadays. Of course, if you spend some big money you could do better...

Back