Tascam 244: first try, weird phasing sound/problem

RXeric

Hi there, new to the forum and a bit of a noob with many aspects of recording.

I purchased a Tascam 244 recently out of curiosity (heard some newly released music recorded with one and liked how it sounded). The item description stated the machine worked perfectly and was checked by a technician.

So I've been messing around with it today, going mostly by the manual and I read a couple of topics on this forum. But my recordings are turning out with a weird sort of phase effect/volume drop off. I haven't gotten my head around every function on the machine yet but I don't think it should sound like this.

I tried each input 1 - 4, tried several different sources (707, Yamaha CS1X, vinyl record) and also several tapes. The tapes were whatever I could find around the house... EMTEC CEII Chrome Extra 90, TDK AD-C60, AGFA Ferrocolour HD 60+6, TDK IEC I 90 (some were really old but the latter TDK was still sealed).

Anyway, I recorded a basic drum pattern from the 707 to listen to. I'm wondering if someone could tell me by ear if some part is failing. Or maybe I've overlooked something in my haste.

Thanks.

Attachments

• tascam244_problem.mp3
    911.3 KB · Views: 4
I tried about four or five different tapes though. Disregarding the supposed "perfect working order" description, could it be something else in the machine?

thanks

It sounds like dropouts from intermittent loss of tape contact with the rec/play head... or just bad tape. If the former it could be a tape tension problem with the transport. But I rather think it's the latter and you should get some new-old-stock TDK SA or Maxell XLII cassettes for further testing. Stick with 60 or 90 minute tape lengths.

You can't really conduct a valid test without known good tape. Your TDK and all the other tapes you listed except the EMTEC are the wrong type. Your machine is setup for high bias Type II. Everything but the EMTEC is normal bias. Get a new high bias tape and then get back to us and we can go from there.

It sounds like dropouts from intermittent loss of tape contact with the rec/play head... or just bad tape. If the former it could be a tape tension problem with the transport. But I rather think it's the latter and you should get some new-old-stock TDK SA or Maxell XLII cassettes for further testing. Stick with 60 or 90 minute tape lengths.

You can't really conduct a valid test without known good tape. Your TDK and all the other tapes you listed except the EMTEC are the wrong type. Your machine is setup for high bias Type II. Everything but the EMTEC is normal bias. Get a new high bias tape and then get back to us and we can go from there.

Thanks, I've ordered some new-old tapes and I'll get back after I test them out.

Thanks, I've ordered some new-old tapes and I'll get back after I test them out.

Well, I bought a still sealed Maxell XLII S-90. I recorded 30 seconds of audio but when I went to rewind and play the transport totally froze up. Now it won't play or fast forward and the tape feels stuck inside. Pretty annoying. Any advice? i.e. I'm guessing these two issues are connected... Is there a likely culprit part inside the transport section that I could try replacing?

There are repair shops in my locale but I'd obviously like to save on cost. Thanks.

Yes: Bad Rubber.

From what you've described, it seems that the rubber components have likely gone bad.

There's a "control" belt that moves the heads up/down. When this goes bad, the heads often get stuck in the up position, leaving the tape stuck in the mechanism. Usually pretty easy to replace.

The Capstan belt drives the tape forward in Play & Record modes. Usually pretty easy to replace.

If it won't FF/RW, most often it's the idler "tires" that go sticky and don't do their job correctly. This is a bit more involved to repair.

THEN, for the loss in signal or warbly sound,... I'll make another assumption,... that the pinch wheel has gone sticky and may have grabbed and wrapped the tape around it. This can wreck the tape, but in minor instances can pull the tape enough to cause sound anomalies.

Make sure the heads are down, beyond the cassette shell. If they are not, then the control belt has failed. If the heads are down enough to clear the cassette shell, then pull the tape out and then disengage it from the pinch wheel, in case it's wrapped around like that.

You don't know exactly which rubber component has failed until you poke around in there a bit. However, most of the rubber parts will deteriorate at the same time if they're original parts.

It's not the end of the world, but will take some maintenance to put right.

:spank::eek:;)

Last edited:

I believe so, but you'll want to source new belts, tires & pinchwheel.

Welcome to the world of analog!

Hey

I managed to fix it. Your advice was just right. I replaced both control and capstan belt to get it moving again but the audio drop outs remained. Examing the pinch roller closely I could actualy hear and see how it was defective so I bought a new wheel from eBay and replaced it using Dr. Zee's instructions. Everything seems to be working now so hopefully it will continue to do so.

It was a great learning experience. Thanks to everyone for the input! :listeningmusic:

Back