Syncing up a Tascam 688 with my computer. Is it a dream?!

egcarney48

Hello all, first time poster here so ill try and keep it quick.

I've been interested in purchasing a tascam 688, but I had a question...

I would love to be able to record with the 688 and have it set up so that I can import all 8 tracks into a DAW (i currently use Reaper) for mixdown. What I was thinking was that I would need an audio interface with 8 inputs like a Behringer FCA1616 so I can run mono RCA to 1/4" plugs from the tape out (1 - 8) section on the back of the console, into the interface which would then go into my computer.

After attempting some research and being quite confused due to a lack of knowledge on the subject, does the midi port allow me to do what im talking about above without the need of an interface? Im not sure exactly what the midi in/out do on the 688 so more info would be great.

Thank you!!

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but here goes nothing.
1) i see no reason to do this. And I say this being an analog tape lover.

Going straight from an interface to reaper will give you better sound than going from cassette into reaper.

2) The 688; is an incredibly complex machine with no sonic benefits I can see

If you want that cassette analog sound, you can get a 238 rackmount 8track cassette. I've had 2 of these and they are fine machines.

With a decent mixer and an 8 channel interface and your daw, all you want can be accomplished.

3) i do not believe the midi wil be useful in any way to get the cassette tracks into the daw. You need an interface. Somehow that analog signal needs to be converted to digital. Hence, the interface.

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but here goes nothing.
1) i see no reason to do this. And I say this being an analog tape lover.

Going straight from an interface to reaper will give you better sound than going from cassette into reaper.

2) The 688; is an incredibly complex machine with no sonic benefits I can see

If you want that cassette analog sound, you can get a 238 rackmount 8track cassette. I've had 2 of these and they are fine machines.

With a decent mixer and an 8 channel interface and your daw, all you want can be accomplished.

3) i do not believe the midi wil be useful in any way to get the cassette tracks into the daw. You need an interface. Somehow that analog signal needs to be converted to digital. Hence, the interface.

That sounds like a good idea, I may do that instead. Thanks!

One more question, if i were to get the 238 and wanted to do what i explained above, i would need a mixer with 8 inputs, 8 outputs to go to the 238, and then an interface with 8 inputs to take the signal from the 238 to go into my computer, correct?

Im trying to find a mixer and interface that would be able to do this but im not having much luck.

Hmm. If it were me. ( See how I preface this post by setting it up as only my opinion? :))

Anyway, if it were me, I'd use a 16 channel mixer with direct outs or insert points that could be used as direct outs.

With a mixer like this you could track to the 238 thru the 1st 8 channels while monitoring what is on tape on channels 9 -16.

Once you are happy with what's on tape, you could go straight from the tape out into the daw via the interface.

I believe tascam makes an 8 in 8 out interface. Personally I'm using a focusrite saffire pro40. It has 8 in and 8 outs (analog) it runs like 500 bucks. Im real happy with it.

Oh, one thing about the 238. You can record all 8 tracks at the same time. I dont think you can do that with the 688 midistudio.

One question though. Why do you want to use a cassette tape format when going to an interface sounds so much better.

Don't get me wrong, I loved working with the 238, but that was a long time ago, and recording technology has advanced big time since then.

It's honestly a sound aesthetic thing. I figure if I try recording to tape I can get good with it and just have a different recording sound than the rest of the bands in my scene. (I have yet to be fully talked out of it, and worse for worse if I fail with the tascam, ill still have a mixer and interface and record that way.)

Anyways, if I were to get a mixer like the Behringer x2222(an 8 channel mixer with 8 channel inserts on the back) would it still work? My thought is that I run the signal from the mixer into the tascam via the channel inserts (if thats even possible), and then run the recorded audio from the tape back into the 8 channels on my mixer, and then into the computer. Im reading that although this mixer has a USB out, it doesn't act as an interface, so I would still need those.

Theoretically, if I were recording live drums with 8 mics, I would run the mics into the mixer, and connect the mixer via channel inserts to the tascam. Once I finished the drum tracking, I could plug the 8 outputs from the Tascam back into the mixer, and record the 8 analog channels into my DAW.

Obviously I still need an interface, but are there any mixers that act as an interface as well?

Thank you for answering all these questions, I know im a pain :D

Eric

I have questions of my own.

1); how much, if any, recording experience do you have?
2) if you have a band, are you looking at recording live drums?
3) not to be nosey, but what kind of budget do you have?
4) what gear do you currently have?

I have questions of my own.

1); how much, if any, recording experience do you have?
2) if you have a band, are you looking at recording live drums?
3) not to be nosey, but what kind of budget do you have?
4) what gear do you currently have?

I have recorded all of my bands through a Zoom R16 for demo purposes and what not. I have recorded a full length album and a 5 song EP in a fully furnished, professional studio at a college in CT where im from. Im looking to go into recording in the future, and tape has always appealed to me.
Yes I am looking to record live drums. The whole thing is that I want to get the sound of the tape, yet still be able to EQ and mix each individual track in my DAW on my computer. Im looking to record a single for my band in order to begin the process on pressing and whatnot, so i'd like to start recording on a machine like the 238, and practice with getting a good sound and mix.
I would say my budget is $700. The Behringer mixer I was looking at (x2222usb) is $250, the 238 I found is $200 but may need a motor replacement in the future (potentially another$100 -$200), and I do have the r16 which im sure if i reinstalled the driver onto my mac, I can use as an interface to run the signal out of the 238, into the 8 inputs on the r16, and into my computer.
Like I mentioned above I have a Zoom r16, plenty of sm57 microphones, and I use reaper as a DAW. Instrument wise I have an array of vintage guitars, a slingerland drumkit and a twin reverb amp which is a what I record/will be recording the most.

You can definitely record 8 tracks simultaneously with the 688.
And having a 688 is just like having a separate mixer and mulitrack cassette recorder together. The 688 & the 238 have the same exact heads. The 238 is basically 688 without the mixer section, in which all your tracks can be monitored.
If it were me,..
I'd go with the 688 and nice 8in 8out interface. Why buy a separate mixer when the 688 has all the bells and whistles a mixer has and some more. It has midi time code as well.
Just my opinion.

You could record a click (I'm using my MPC's count-in) at the beginning of each track on tape. That way you don't waste a track for the sync signal and you can manually align the individual recorded tracks in the DAW.

You could record a click (I'm using my MPC's count-in) at the beginning of each track on tape. That way you don't waste a track for the sync signal and you can manually align the individual recorded tracks in the DAW.

except tape plays back on different speed each time you make a pass... I tried this, and by 2:00 min mark, 1st and 8ths track are of about quarter note. And speed issues are not linear! You must correct the speed bar for bar! After all this, groove is still a little off. I'm thinking about bouncing to 4 tracks (another tape machine) with premixed groups. That way I could make edits, and still overdub (provided i'm "importing" cassette back to 688).

Back