Subwoofer

tyros3

Hi
I have recently bought a pair of Mackie 4cr monitor speakers and would like to add a sub woofer.
To be honest i m not sure how to do this with the tascam dp 24sd ,I was hoping someone else might know.
I think the Mackie s are very good but lack a bit of bottom end punch.
Thanks in advance.
Tyros.

This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error.

I saw that you asked this at the Tascam forum as well but hesitated to answer because I don't know a lot about it.

However... I'm pretty sure that.... adding a subwoofer doesn't involve the DP24SD at all.

I think this is correct: Any subwoofer that you add needs to have the capability of taking the 2 monitor outputs of the Tascam in as left and right inputs - and then send the left and right monitor signals out to your Mackie 4cr monitor speakers.

Scroll down to Page 10 of this Yamaha HS seris manual and it show a diagram of what I'm trying to explain.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/793644/hs8i_en_om_b0.pdf

Thanks guys I was not sure how to do this but with your help
I am now very confidant that I can buy all most any sub woofer
And it should have the ports for the Mackie cr4 s .
I have never owned a sub woofer so had no idea how it all worked.lol
Thanks guys.............now I need to find a cheapish sub woofer.
Tyros

THIS is what I use in my studio. More than enough to keep up with my ADAM A7X's.

Don't think it will work for you though. It doesn't have balanced inputs but that hasn't been an issue for me. I run through a Mackie Big Knob so I have separate output for the sub.

Sub Woofers usually have their own filters in them for cutting off the top end. They are called low pass filters. The problem is to get a common input as they are mono and a stereo signal can not just be put into a Y cable. So if the preamp or mixer doe snot provide a mono out of a stereo signal then a mixing device could be made in a box to add the two channels together with resistors and then that resultant output taken from that- the mixer made with resistors such as 10K or higher would not result is the shorting of the two signals as a Y cable would do.

Just double checked my manual, page 23 (drawing), for my new DP24SD: The Monitor Out jack for this model Tascam is balanced.

Edited on 18 May 2018 for correction: My original reply was in in error when I stated the Monitor Out jack was shown in manual as unbalanced. I apologize for this error to all readers before this correction.

Again, the Monitor Out jack is balanced.

With sincerest apology--JeffF.

Last edited:
Back