Slaving DPs

apparently it can be done , there is a post on the Tascam forum by a member explaining how to do it

Yes it can be done, with DP-32's anyway, can't speak for DP-24. If you have 2 DP-32's, designate one to be the master. Connect it's midi-out to the midi-in on your slave. On the master, within the MIDI menu, set the sync-generator to MTC. On the slave, within the MIDI menu, set the Remote Control Mode to SLAVE, leave the Sync-generator off. That's it. You can arm tracks on the Slave and the Master, hit Play on the Slave and it should wait for Midi Time Clock coming from the Master. Hit Play/Record on the Master and they both should take off running. Depending on how your monitoring is set up, you may need to run the stereo out of the slave back into the master (will eat two input channels) and assign them to the stereo bus. At some point, you have to bounce and collapse everything onto the master to make your final mix. You need DP-32's to do this, the 32SD doesn't do MIDI. Hope this helps.

Which is why I just said "no". You will not, in the end, have twice the tracks ... you'll have to mix/master on ONE of the units, and having to bounce a whole lot of tracks means you mix, bounce, mix, bounce, mix, bounce until you finally have 24 or 32 tracks on one machine. If you need 48 or 64 tracks, the DP's are NOT what you want to use.

Thanks for all your replies. It looks like the best solution for large track count is to use a computer DAW. I am an old fart and don't know if the learning curve on a DAW would be to steep for me.

Slaving dps

Out of curiosity ....how readily do dp's slave to other midi gear that wants to be master?

You will not, in the end, have twice the tracks ... you'll have to mix/master on ONE of the units, and having to bounce a whole lot of tracks means you mix, bounce, mix, bounce, mix, bounce until you finally have 24 or 32 tracks on one machine.

this is not true. you could record up to 32 tracks on the slave machine and never have to bounce/collapse them onto the master machine except when you record the stereo master mix, by connecting the stereo outs of the slave to 2 input channels on the master which are assigned to the stereo bus.

Last edited:
Back