setting up mixer with 424

clevodrummer

Tascammer
this is a newbie ?, but thats o.k., cuz i want to learn how to do this, so i might as well call it a newbie ?. I am probably posting this on the wrong forum, but the tascam 4trackers seem to be the best at what my ? is.

I am mixing drums from a Yamaha mg16fx mixer which I really enjoy working with. right now, i have geetar on track 1, and bass on track 2. Im doing a Jethro Tull tune called "bouree" which was really written by some cat named Bach. So Im going from the stereo outs on the mixer directly to track 3 and 4 for drums.

At first I ran it into the sub input of the Tascam which is described as "for outboard cascade mixer" . I should mention I use a blank practice tape until I get it down, so I dont erase anything by accident. It works, but it seems I can faintly hear what I am recording on tracks 1 and 2. I know think that is not the case, I think I am hearing 3 and 4 faintly when I have effect 2/tape cue turned all the way down.

First ?, is this a proper way to set up to the 424, by going from the outs on the mixer to the subinput into the 424?. Or am I better off going from the outs on the mixer directly into the tracks on the 424 I am recording?

It seems to yield this same result either way.

My next question is from what I have read it is always best to basically tactfully push the potential of whatever source I am recording, be it a mixer, a geetar effect,etc., and use as little gain on the 424 as neccessary to avoid distortion. As the mixer has preamps and the 424 has preamps, I guess it is best to push the preamps on the mixer rather than the 424.

So with that in mind, I am basically turning the preamps(gain) on the 424 as far off (left) as possible. Even if I ajust the gains and faders on the mixer, and turn down the master fader on the mixer..the 424 is getting a huge signal. So I switched the line out on the 424 from l-r to mono and it really made a difference as far as peaking out the levels on the 424.

the strange thing is...even if I feel I am getting to strong a signal from the mixer to the 424....it totally kicks ass and sounds freaking perfect!!!!

So am I making much ado about nothing? I think I just would like to know the philosophy of the situation between the two respective units.

any way I look at it, I am now having a damn good time....I just like to understand what is going on as much as what manuals say,etc. I like to really "visualize" things like what a sound signal is doing as if its water running through pipes in the house. That way, I can avoid having to look for a plunger.

thanks....clevo

p.s. to andyhix.... I AM going to get to the tunes as soon as I get it straight...no sense winging it and not being happy with the result.

You have to make sure the submixer (Yamaha) is sending a -10dbV signal to the Tascam.

The Tascam's sub-in is a functional input, but I think you get better control (in this specific case) by running the Yamaha's output L/R to the 424's inputs 3 & 4 on 1/4" plugs, recording on DIRECT. Then proceed to set levels according to the book.

... that pretty much goes like this:
Set the TRIM to fully CCW, (minimum/line).
Set the Master fader to "7", or the shaded area.
set the Channel fader to "7", or the shaded area.
Adjust the Trim control to a nominal "0VU average peak".
IN the case of "Direct" recording mode, the Master fader is not in the signal chain, so it's Channel fader/Trim/0VU on the meters.
You could also record in Buss L/R mode, by panning the inputs hard L & R, accordingly, with the following consideration.

(When recording in Buss L/R mode, you have to be absolutely certain that while making overdub tracks, that your original tracks are only on the Tape Cue mix and not on the Main mix buss. Always be absolutely certain of that, & that helps prevent unwanted track bleed.

It's also a good idea to have all input channels that are not necessary at the time to be turned all the way down to "0"/faders down, trim minimum & input sel "Off". :eek: ;) When turned all the way up, the inputs may give a little hiss if not terminated properly with a mic or instrument. :eek: ;)

Depending on what mics and how many you use for drums, I'd seriously consider keeping as much inputting and mixing on the 424's built-in mixer, from the start & as a primary goal, 'cause it will sound better with the less stuff in the signal path going down to tape. :eek: ;) Just my 2¢.

Back