Sending stereo mix to Tascam 424

Oldmanstreet

Hey there,

Should I be panning hard left and right on my 424 when I send (an already panned) stereo mix to inputs 3 and 4? Or am I like "double panning"? Cuz it sounds super w i d e. But it sounds kind of like mono if I leave the pan pots at noon.

Thank you!

More details

After messing around with turning my mix mono from my DAW, and A/B comparing to the pan pots on the tascam at noon, I confirm that it is indeed mono at this position. But my question is now, should I pan hard left and right or maybe somewhere in between?

Thanks again

Sounds like you were not sending a true stereo mix to the 424 or were not recording only the left on one channel and the right on another. You may have been sending both left and right to both 424 channels equally. This would create mono. I have a 424 but have not used it for years. Example, If I bought a prerecorded cassette tape and player it on the 424 I would not pan hard right or left. That would already be on the prerecorded tape. Center should not be mono on a 2 track stereo mix.

To get a stereo recording on the 424 when putting in a stereo signal , YES the pans need to be hard left and right to get the seperation like it is suppose to be. This is true of all porta studio decks and even larger mixers.

Back