Is it safe to use powered monitors with the DP008EX?

I don't see why there would be any issues with that.

At worse, you might get some hum going from the unbalanced outputs on the DP008EX to balanced inputs. But I think the JBL's have an unbalanced input too.

Don't worry, be happy. These are fine speakers.

I have a set of the 305's on my Tascam 2488NEO and have used unbalanced cables when I first got them. Works fine as the 305's accept either balanced or unbalanced. You'll need a RCA to 1/4" TS cables to connect. Don't skimp on the cables, get a decent quality. There is a setting switch on the back of the monitor to set input level. Set it to -10dBV for the DP008EX.

Is the dB input selection on monitors meant to match the output of any given unit or limit the dB operation of the monitors regardless of what is sent of dB from source?

Thanks, JeffF.

Last edited:
Is the dB input selection on monitors meant to match the output of any given unit or limit the dB operation of the monitors regardless of what is sent of dB from source?

Thanks, JeffF.

Er? Yes but, AIs etc vary a lot in the output they deliver for a given track level (dBu/volts at say -18dBFS) so it cannot be an exact science.

Those monitors have -10dBV and +4dBu sensitivity switching so try the LOWER sensitivity first (+4dBu) and if you find it hard to get sufficient level, go for neg ten.
N.B. the higher the sensitivity you give an active monitor the worse will be the "Self Noise" that is the hiss that is sometimes heard generated by the internal amplifiers. In the 21st century it should be easy and cheap to deliver active monitors that are subjectively 'silent' at the normal listening distance but this is by no means always the case!

Last thing: Google for "Studio Monitor Calibration" .

Dave.

Hello Dave,

Your shared insight probably saved me from trying to figure out why I encounter hear "hissing" with the lesser sensitivity setting (of +4 dB). (Also, I would have made the mistake of thinking the -10dB was the lesser sensitivity.)

I do have a follow up question, but since the topic is drifting from the original thread heading and my additional question may benefit others (by community input), I'll post it under Newbie. I'll look for your comment there, if so offered.

Greatly appreciated, JeffF.

Back