Reverb question regarding 2488Neo

Goodallboy

I'm just beginning using my Neo and it's my first venture into home recording. Acoustic guitar and vocals mostly.
A friend has a recording set-up in his home and when comparing the sound between the two, his has a nice level of reverb and this enhances and adds a crispness to his sound. He has a mixer, recorder and a dbx reverb unit.
I can't seem to find that type of shimmer on the Neo, so should I be looking at a unit like the dbx to add? Can that type of quality be derived from the Neo? Any tips?:guitar:

I haven't used the Neo specifically but on all the self contained recorders like it that I have used, I found the FX's to be a weak point.
A good outboard unit would make a big difference IMO.

The reverb can be tweaked on the Neo, but it takes some work to get something that sounds good when the reverb needs to be fairly forward in the mix. I usually use the reverb as-is, but only use enough of it to make vocals blend into a mix better. I also only use the neo for tracking and basic monitoring / rough mixes, so I've never had to tweak the reverb for use in a "final mix", as it were, so YMMV.

The internal verbs on the Tascam are certainly usable, the trick is getting the right send & return levels as well as finding the right space. I prefer to use the "studio" or sometimes "room" reverb just to add some air and depth for anything else I use an external verb especially for vox. I have several older verbs that I really like from ART, Yamaha and DBX, the nice thing about these older units is they are often pretty cheap these days but still sound amazing.

Yeah, I agree with everyone.

When I was using my 2488, I was lucky enough to have 2 micro-verbs that I used for reverb. You can certainly use the on-board ones, they're not horrible with the right settings, like BrassBrad said. But I did find that most of the internal reverbs were on the darker side.

Back