really weird newbie tascam us-122 question(s)...please help!

mworker

Hi, I'm a college student that loves to do media work on the side. Just wanted to say based on the threads that I've read you guys are very knowledgable.I hope you can share some insight with me.

I'm building a small recording setup for personal use, and I was browsing for a a new soundcard. I was planning to get a delta 44, a preamp and some edirol monitors just to get started (I have an at4040 condenser mic already). But ironically, my girlfriend was able to get a hold of a Tascam US-122 for me. Now, since I have the tascam, does that mean that cancels out the idea of purchasing a soundcard? Or, is it possible to use the tascam in place of the preamp, plug the RCA outs into the delta box using a RCA/1/4 cable? I apologize for my ignorance, but will I get good recording quality out of the tascam? my setup is strictly for vocals. I'd hate to dump the tascam, but if a delta 44 and a preamp would show a significant difference, I don't have much of choice. Btw, what is the recording specs of the Tascam US-122? is it 24/96? Lastly, regardless of the owning a tascam, do I need to purchase a soundcard anyway to plug monitors? Thanks in advance, please help in anyway!

Well I can answer one of your questions yes the 122 does replace the soundcard so you do not have to buy a soundcard also I think it does have a built in pre amp but I'm not for sure about that so you can either go to www.tascam.com and check it out or I'm sure someone here can answer that for you.

mworker-

I just bought a US-122 (24 bit/48 khz) and wondered if you ended up using yours or ditching it. How did it work out and how was the sound? I am also curious if anyone else has an opinion. Is the AD converter high quality or did I get what I paid for?

The biggest drawback seems to be that it can only record two channels at once. Do you know if you can record two mic channels plus one MIDI at the same time, or can you only record two total?

mworker-Don't let your girlfriend eat wedding cake. She will stop giving you audio equipment.

Thanks,
WMHA

Last edited:
Back