Possible to mix from tape to digital DP-01FX?

BluesPower

Can I use the Tascam DP-01FX digital 8-track to mix my final mixes from my 8-track tape recorder?

I do not have a good PC or other 2-track for my mixes and would like to use the DP-01FX (which I can borrow) to mix into and burn my final mixes on CD.

I notice in the instruction manual that the DP-01FX does not have a line in jack to connect an external recorder. It does, however, have "Return"
R and L jacks which can be used to connect "stereo effects unit outputs".
Can I use these "return" jacks to connect my tape recorder into the DP-01FX?

The DP-01FX should work just fine, but you would send your line outs on the tape unit to the 1/4' line ins on the front panel of the DP-01, not the effect returns. You will probably need two RCA to 1/4 TS addapters to do that. You can get a copy of the manual here;

http://www.tascam.com/Products/dp01fx.html

A Tascam tip which refused to go on as a new post....

Do you buy, for the same money, a decent 8-track tape deck or an excellent 4-track one? I'd get the 4-track one myself.

But what if I knew that I'd need to make an 8-track recording but not want to bounce? Hmmm. How to keep that analogue 'feel' without too much hiss and loss of quality...

In the end, I worked out this method:

1. 'Stripe' track one of your tape with time code.
2. Synchronise a second recorder to this time code (for this, let's use a PC).
3. Record your basic track(s) to your tape, including guide track or whatever else.
4. Copy the playback to the second device.
5. Record over the taped basic track with overdubs - The synchronised playback of the copied basic track will be your guide.
6. Copy the overdubs across also. Carry on until you have enough tracks done.

So there it is. Your individual 8 track 'tape' tracks are all ready to be individually edited, etc, and mixed!

Also, it's simple enough to add analogue tracks to a half-done digital project by syncronising the tape deck to the PC. Or, if your tape deck doesn't have a synchroniser, use a multi-channel sound card as an insert point (if your kit supports it) to run through the tape deck as you record.

there's no reason not to record your final mix on your tascam....I've used the 1/4" inputs on my DP-01FXCD to convert old recordings directly from the outputs of a teac 3340s....I've also digitized some vinal lp's by plugging low level outputs of my receiver right into those 1/4" inputs....

Back