New To The Tascam TSR 8 - and MTS-1000

corganb

I want to sync my new TSR-8 to Pro Tools LE via an MTS-1000 sync box. Has anyone successfully done this? I cannot locate a PDF manual for the MTS-1000. I want to sync my reel to reel to Pro Tools so that I can keep tracking to tape, then digitizing... and eliminate sync drift.

Hi,

You will find it a lot easier and quicker to use when you sync the protools to the TSR8. Make the TSR8 the master. Stripe track 8 with smpte and get the protools to chase it.

Cheers

Alan.

No, do not make PT chase the TSR. Corgan you had it right......use the MTS-1000 and chasing PT is no problem......just allocate 5 seconds or so for pre-roll to allow the TSR to lock on to the MTS-1000.

PM me with your contact info and I will send you the manual PDF.

More like 20 to 25 seconds of pre-roll, so the 3 minute song is at the end and you hit play (from start) on the protools. The protools is now playing but the TSR8 is rewinding to the start of the song and then trying to lock up. Could be near the end of the song before it does.

It was different when locking 2 tape machines as they both went into rewind when rewind was hit and where near the lock up point when going into play. When I have my MSR16S locked to my MX2424, the MSR is master the MX locks up in less than a second, like is was designed to do when doing film work.

Cheers

Alan.

Tascamwiz: I was reading your posting on Homerecording.com of 04-05-09 about the Tascam Midiizer MTS-1000 manual which said you have. I have 2 TSR 8's I'd like to synchronize, and an MTS-1000, but unfortunately no manual for the Midiizer. Would it be possible to get a copy of it from you, either hard copy or pdf? Thanks: Donmoore2006@aol.com

Tascamwiz: I was reading your posting on Homerecording.com of 04-05-09 about the Tascam Midiizer MTS-1000 manual which said you have. I have 2 TSR 8's I'd like to synchronize, and an MTS-1000, but unfortunately no manual for the Midiizer. Would it be possible to get a copy of it from you, either hard copy or pdf? Thanks: Donmoore2006@aol.com

I don't know if tascamwiz is still around, so I just sent you the manual in pdf.

You may also want to post questions to the Analog Only forum, as there are a couple of members over there that have synced two TSR-8's or the TSR-8 with other machines.

Best of luck,

Tim
:)

Last edited:
I just got an MTS-1000. I am going to try to sync a TSR-8 and an MSR-24. I have a manual and the 2 cables, but I have no experience with this. What should I be aware of. Previously on this forum I had asked if the tape lifters were bypassed when the Machine would be in FF or RW. I assumed the sync tracks were always being read. I was concerned about head wear. Apparently this is not the case?
Thanks
VP:confused:

I finally set up the MTS-1000! I had 2 panic attacks. after hooking everything up, I read the manual and followed all the steps to the letter. I am making the MSR-24 the master and a TSR-8 the slave. The first major problem was that the TSR-8 was not responding to the transport controls on the MTS-1000. The MSR-24 was though. After swapping cables around and switching the master and slave configuration, the TSR-8 still didnt respond. This TSR-8 was bought NIB in January and has worked fine ever since. I checked the manual and it stated the DIP switches on the back were factory set for 9600K baud rate, ASSUME NOTHING! They had it set backwards! So then I proceed to record the timecode, 30 minutes later I rewind and check the playback. no signal on the TSR-8. I check everything and attempt to record again, only for a few minutes, no change. At this point you dont know what to suspect except everything. I test track 8 on the TSR-8 with a recorded test tone. No signal. I am sweating, then it hits me, dirty heads. I look with my LED magnifying glass and sure enough track 8 was covered. I have been using RMGI 911 and it sounds great, but I guess I havent cleaned it like I should. I was surprised how a tiny speck of tape residue can completely block an obnoxious signal like a time code. Well everything seems to work, I am surpised how well the MTS-1000 works, although it is kind of slow to lock up.
VP:D

Back