NEW Tascam Pocketstudio 5 Demo: Bowie Jam for Bowie Fans!

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
Big Brother
Rock : Cover Songs
by David Bowie. Recorded 07/08/08 on the Tascam Pocketstudio 5 using the internal mic. MP3 rendered internally on the PS5. Experimental built-in mic test & rough Bowie jam.:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1-Tascam Pocketstudio 5b.jpg
    1-Tascam Pocketstudio 5b.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Yeah.

It's fun for those times you want to want to record using a handheld device that does 4-tracks & has an internal mic and MIDI backing track, if necessary. I could get a better sounding track or tracks if I reworked these and took more time. This was a bit of an experimental practice jam.

PS: Using the PS5 with an external mic improves sound considerably. I have another previous PS5 demo which was tracked more carefully and with an external mic, which sounds noticeably better: (see):
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5643785&q=hi

Note: I have numerous recorders and setups which I use in rotation from time to time just to keep things interesting,... not just one setup all the time. Notice my previous demo on the DP-02CF sounds much better and cleaner, as that was a more legitimate "production" job on 8-track with a high quality mic. (see):
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6690946&q=hi

Thanx!!:eek:;)

Last edited:
Dave - not bad considering you used the internal mic.

Love of jazz - as someone who uses the PS5 exclusively, I would have to say it is the best 4-track solution for songwriters etc. who value getting from idea to MP3 demo quickly above sound quality:

1. Built-in input effects for guitar, bass and vocals. (At least a few are worth using.)

2. Built-in MIDI tone generator to play either MIDI files as backing or, alternatively program MIDI backing on the machine itself using one of the built in patterns.

3. Records in compressed mode, thus making exchange of files with other PS5 users easy (data for a 4 minute, 4-track song can be as low 10MB total) when collaborating with distant folks.

4. Mixes directly to MP3.

Major negative points:

1. The obvious -- only 4 tracks.

2. Bass on MP3s tend to become more boomy than it sound.

3. Recording is limited to 2-tracks per take, same as similarly priced machines available today (PS5 is long discontinued.)

4. Recording compressed results in noticable sound quality degradation when bouncing.

5. No easy way to import individual tracks onto a PC.

6. Hit or miss when buying CF cards that work - max capacity is 128MB (you can format larger card as 128).

Everything on my music page was done on the PS5. All but a few were using the PS5s internal MIDI tone generator for backing.

Tom

Big Brother
Rock : Cover Songs
by David Bowie. Recorded 07/08/08 on the Tascam Pocketstudio 5 using the internal mic. MP3 rendered internally on the PS5. Experimental built-in mic test & rough Bowie jam.:eek:;)

What's with all the digital stuff lately? New toy?

BTW: great sounding recording. You are using a different room on this one.

What's with all the digital stuff lately? New toy?
Yeah, a new toy!

BTW: great sounding recording.
Thank you.

You are using a different room on this one.
Yeah, the bathroom.:eek:;)

... It's a ploy to avoid the "you spend thousands of dollars on equipment and never use it" criticizm from my wife.:eek:;)

... It's an effort to throw down jams and remind myself and e'one else I'm an artist and not just a gear collector.:eek:;)

... It's an experimentation of getting the most from minimal gear while minimizing that dreaded digital distortion. It's rather noticeable in spots but is not a show stopper.:eek:;)

... I'm no great talent, but you gotta start with strong material. The rest is easy. Honestly, hitting the high notes is a big challenge. Bowie tunes are always like that.:eek:;)

... I show my roots in tunes that I do & pay tribute to my mentors. Songs like this have been stuck in my head for decades.:eek:;)

... It's all for fun!

... Thanx!:eek:;)

Last edited:
Back