New Tascam DP-24SD

Cratinus

I just saw this at the Sweetwater website: The new Tascam DP-24SD. The photo is apparently of the original DP-24 but (according to Sweetwater) the unit WILL have MIDI IN/OUT. No info on the Tascam website yet but basically it is exactly like the old DP-24 minus the CD burner. $399 for 24 tracks. Not too shabby. I wonder if Tascam got an earful of complaints about the lack of MIDI on the DP-32SD and made sure to include them this time. Who knows..maybe we'll see a DP32SD MKII with MIDI ports sometime soon. Anyway...just thought this might be of interest to some. Cheers. DP24SD-large.jpg

Very Nice!

Thank you!

I also wonder if the 24SD is Tascam making amends for the 32SD, or if it's a quick & dirty way of popping something into the gap in their product line while something even newer & more exciting is in development? Only time will tell.

I like the price cut of this unit compared to the last & I don't think I (or other people) will miss the CD burner. Most people either shuttle the SD card or use the USB connection. Most people probably burn CDs on their computers. I know there was a CD import function, but this may also be doable on the computer side. I think the Midi I/O was vastly more important than the CD drive. I hope they *remembered* to include Midi TC Slave mode.

I still think about buying into the DP24 or 32, but the bank doesn't agree at this time. I probably would if I could. New high tech toys are good sometimes.
:spank::eek:;)

It's also listed on Gearnuts (whatever that is): Tascam DP-24SD. I think Tascam/Teac got bought by Gibson fairly recently. The Tascam website used to be COMPLETELY "on top" of everything they offered (in terms of highly detailed product information). The last year (or so) not so much. I hope the DP24SD is an indication that they are NOT going to abandon the "Portastudio" concept completely. Cheers.

Adorama shows the DP-24SD now. No MIDI on the backside pics, although the description mentions it.

Tascam DP-24SD Portastudio - 24-track Digital Recorder DP-24SD

B&H site says "coming soon".

Hmmm...now I'm more confused than ever. Looks to be the new unit on Adorama as the color scheme has been slightly "tweaked". I saved the photo of the rear unit and zoomed in on it. It looks like midi ports are/were there (can kinda make out a circular shape) and then a rectangular photoshop "patch" (or piece of black tape) was placed over them:
tsdp24sd_2b.jpg
Don't guess we'll know until someone buys one or final info shows up at Tascam. Cheers.

Just got an email reply from Tascam on the DP-24SD. There are NO MIDI PORTS (i.e. it's just a DP-32SD with 24 tracks). This is disappointing news (and Tascam is clearly not listening). Guess I'll scratch this one off the list. Back to eBay for a "first Gen" DP or a Neo. Cheers.

Last edited:
I just lost interest :(
Me too. I honestly can't figure it out. I'm wondering if it is the Gibson "buy-out" of Teac that has pushed the Portastudio to the "back burner". SD storage is great but MIDI is still a very common musical workflow/dynamic....workstation keyboards, drum machines, groove boxes....etc. Hardware sequencers are even making a sort of comeback (lately). I cannot understand why they couldn't "adapt" a technology that they are (obviously) quite familiar with into the new SD series recorders. Competely bummed to hear this. Cheers.

Last edited:
It's finally on the Tascam website now:Tascam DP-24SD. Definitely no MIDI ports. I still see that strange "patch" on the back of the unit where the midi ports "should" be. Weird. Oh well.

Sweetwater had a 1 day sale.DP-24 $399.99 just two days after I got mine and paid $449.99.I called and they put $50 back into my pay pal.Not bad.

Hi to anyone reading! I have ordered one of these dp24sd. My question is......I can put a drum track on track 24 and record single tracks in sync. When I have half a dozen tracks done, can I upload to cubase and somehow knit a time code in there? If so I could put a midi brass section on later in Cubase?
Another question is....If you can do that you can transfer more lots of half a dozen tracks all synced with the original drum track on the 24sd and end up with as many tracks as you like on cubase al in sync?

regards

sixtiesman

Does anyone know if you can use SMPTE with this device? Stripe a track with SMPTE (like you would on a tape machine), send it out of one of the 2 effects sends and have your DAW or whatever sync up?

I got mine two weeks ago, have two songs in it but having trouble assigning effects to vocals or an input etc. Not sure how to get all that going as the manual is really not too complete in explanation. I'm just learning, my last recorder I worked on is a Fostex 160 ...lol. Antique by now....like me. Any advice out there?
Thanks, AJB

im looking for someone who knows something about this machine . i moved some tracks to my computer or external hard drive and now i want to bring the tracks back to the machine to redo some of them . how do i move back? please help if you can

Back