New DP-32

I wonder if they upgraded Compressors and effects etc... I'm sure its easier to move around in the display and assigining tracks. I would love to see a VGA out to attach a Monitor and perhaps a mouse.

Most of the effects have been dropped and you cant name tracks or marks and you cant save scenes. I'm not sure if I have done the right thing in getting the DP as its no where near as good as the Neo.
The screen is great though and saving to an SD card is great.

ALL HAIL THE DAW CONSORTIUMS!!!
(((((((((****)))))))))))
WE KNOW YOU HAVE DEFEATED ALL TECHNICAL LIMITATIONS OF DIGITAL RECORDING WITH YOUR SUPER-DUPER WORKSTATION WITH A BIZZILLION GB of RAM, OVERCLOCKED TO THE SPEED OF LIGHT!!!!
(((((((((****)))))))))))
WE COME IN PEACE!!!!
(((((((((****)))))))))))
WE DO NOT INTEND ANY HARM TO YOUR REPUTATION AS BEING A SUPERIOR FORM OF INTELLIGENT SOUND ENGINEERING!!!
(((((((((****)))))))))))
AGAIN, DO NOT HARM US WITH YOUR "NEED TO CONTROL" SURFACES!!! WE ARE ABLE TO ASSIST YOU IN YOUR MISSION TO ULTIMATE PERFECTION!!!
(((((((((****)))))))))))
WE COME IT BITS & PEACES!!!

re edit

But seriously, folks. If you've been tinkering with digital music production tools since the SynClavier era, and the Moog corporation, you have probably become as frustrated as everyone with trying to keep up with the software required to "optimize" a "near-zero latency" computer system beyond 3 tracks of vocals. I won't even talk about the "TRUE" hard drive specs that most "real" DAW software systems need to achieve reasonable fidelity within the 24-bit arena (anywhere from 44.4 to 192K in most applications).

After designing, building, and implementing systems for many FORTUNE 100 organizations over the past 20+ years, I DON'T WANT TO SPEND MORE TIME SYSTEM ENGINEERING THAN RECORDING IN MY HOME STUDIO!!!!

For all of us whom the Grammy Nomination Committee haven't contacted, good, clean digital files are the organic materials that any good DAW benefits from starting a project/song with. However, in a complete twist of irony, and theoretical contradictions, a DAW may not always be the "best" option for capturing that raw material for various reasons, beyond the control of the engineer, or the DAW creator.

I have followed many threads within this forum that argue about the limitations of the DP-32/24 with regard to digital outs (spdif, etc). You're totally missing the point. And, to some extent, I applaud Tascam for not being ashamed of appearing "inadequate" in the amateur/low-end professional recording locker room, and releasing a "relic" with no digital outs. Smart move.
It would have been a waste of money for Tascam to introduce any other method of externalizing their tracks with the capabilities of both USB-based file transfer options, and the AudioDepot concept of making fully DAW-compatible wave files at slightly better than CD-quality, transferable via SDHC cards. Brilliant move to advance the PortaStudio product line, and the perfect solution for the MUSICIAN/PERFORMER who actually "DO" what they sound like they do on a released recorded product. No offense to anyone intended.

I've played, listened, blew money at Guitar Center in several states, spent a lot of time reading, researching drivers for computers, sound cards, usb/firewire ports, firmware/eprom updates going back to Ensonic EPS series, through the Roland 808, Fostex 8/16 tracks, ADAT 8/16/24. I didn't make any money for these endeavors, so I don't consider the time spent "productive" in that sense But, in my sincere desire to conform to the masses, I had been seriously considering the immediate procurement of the most expensive MAC Pro I could purchase, in the new form-factor; sexy, round little cylinders.

Applause to Apple for excellent marketing. I had convinced myself that I'd be able to save starving children in 3rd world countries if I got a $10,000.00 MAC Pro with 100-core i7 processors, and a semi-full of 1Ghz SDRAM clocked at light-speed, with the "God-particle" upgrades.

What's the point? Is it to brag about how much of my disposable income I can afford to donate to the Apple campus in Silicon Valley, or do I just want something I can get clean, reliable, solid digital recordings and FILES without being afraid of having to reload all of my drivers when I find a bug in the software, or a new plugin that I absolutely need to use to get an affect.

It can be a life-changing experience when everything goes perfectly right ---- or a useless waste of time once you realize that you've invested 5 years of your life into a system that will require you to start from square #0 every time you load something new, or the DAW company upgrades it's software.

To end the turmoil, decide if you really want spend about $5k on a system that can record 24 tracks of digital audio, in wave compatible format, with near-zero latency? Do you want to buy, and install a new hard drive on your system every time you do a "serious" project, that you can't afford to lose to crashes, accidental deletes/overwrites? Simple questions, not so simple answers, when you consider ALL of the pro/cons, and you have the money to go either way. THE DP-32/24 IS NOT DESIGNED TO REPLACE THE DAW.

IT IS COMPLIMENTARY TO THE TRAINED ENGINEER, IT IS A COMPLETE CONUNDRUM TO AMATEURS WHO HAVE BEEN LIMITED TO ONLY A FEW RECORDING PLATFORMS.

This is not to say that Tascam does not have any room for improvement, nor am I claiming that any system is infallible.

ALL HUMANLY CREATED DEVICES WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL, OR LOSE THEIR UTILITY. PLEASE PREPARE FOR THAT!!!!

I sympathize with all of the users that I've read about who have lost their work due to crashes. Any experienced IT engineer knows that most complete losses of data are due to inadequate planning, and disaster recovery methods. These principal elements are the key to using any computer-based system authoring any type of digital media. Don't blame that completely on the hardware manufacturer.

Perfection is the Lord's.

Profit is the corporation's.

Visualize whirled peas: I read that on a bumper-sticker in Minnesota.

Last edited:
Back