Need a new Gear Wheel for my 488 MK II

3l3phantstomp

The tascam wouldn't disengage the heads from the cassette tape, and upon inspection of the tape drive it is not the belt but a crumbled plastic wheel gear in one of the corners. The question is: where can one acquire new plastic gears for this INCREDIBLE machine!??!?!? Do I dare ask Tascam?!?!

After seeing how MANY of the gears are plastic on this thing, I'm thinking I should maybe just get a whole set of plastic gears for the entire tape drive for backup...

All help appreciated good sirs and madames.

IMAG0543.jpgIMAG0541.jpg

Final Update:

Dear Customer,

The gear, p/n 9278377600, is currently available, cost is $2.45 each, plus tax and shipping. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or money orders. Please, NO CODs or PERSONAL CHECKS, If you would like to order, please contact the parts department below. Prices quoted are only for SHIPMENT WITHIN THE U.S. or its territories.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Parts Department
TEAC America
7733 Telegraph Road
Montebello, CA 90640
Phone: 323-727-4840
Fax: 323-727-7632
E-Mail: parts@teac.com

thanks for doing the work. i too have a crumbled wheel and will be ordering a new one. if that's the before picture above, yours is in better shape than mine which looks like half eaten corn-on-the-cob. i think that it's just that wheel that has the issue. maybe bad plastic tempering on that part....?? it's the only one in the set that is yellowed, like yours. just got my 488 a month ago. was able to do some recording before it messed up. amazing results. i have a huge stockpile of various maxell and tdk high bias tapes dating back 30 years. the tdks are good but have a slightly muffled characteristic. they and some of the maxells also register 3-5dbs lower on playback than what you put in. however the maxell type II high bias epitaxial tapes (that look older with decal) register exactly what you put into the deck on the meters. they also have a wide open, natural sound.

maxellepitaxial.jpg

Hey, 3l3phantstomp, Thanks, I looks like that little plastic wheel crumbling is a common thing, I have a Portastudio 464, decided to clean it up and try it today, the cassette wasn't playing, when I hit play, the Play, Pause and record lights blink for a while, it makes some noise then it stops.

Decided to open it, and saw the little cog broken in two. It looks yellowish compared to the other ones (the other ones are intact) Anyway, this was the only useful reference I was able to find online so, posting up so other people can also find it when looking for this issue on a 464

forum.jpg

I'll email parts@teac.com and see If I can order it. (would you say that is the same gear? it looks like it)

Also, how difficult was to remove the wheel next to it to put the new one in place? just pull up gently? (it looks solid but I don't want to break it)

Thanks!

Same problem here. Glad they can still be found. That's what happens when you don't run the machine for 3 years. :(

Attachments

• DSC08998.jpg
    DSC08998.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 37
Finally got around to putting that gear in the Tascam today. Works great. Now it's off to ebay before anything else happens to it. I just had to have one of these things, but then when I got it, I tested it and then put it in the closet, were it's been ever since. Stupid! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know that well!

I made 3 pretty good demos on the 488mkII, then it just sat for a year or 2 unused, maybe more. When I went to test it again, Track 1 won't record! I hate when stuff like that happens, practially for no reason at all! Just add that to the list of stuff to fix!
:spank::eek:;)

I seem to have same symptoms here on my 488mkii but not experienced enough to feel confident opening up the 488. Anyone know of anywhere in UK (pref South) that does repairs? Thanks

2017 update on gear

Gears are no longer available with teac. I found one on ebay for $35, sucks but at least its out there. Thank you to all the guys before me, you made it much easier to repair my old "TASCAM portastudio 488 MKII".
Part number 9278377600

Back