MX-2424 problem

Thanks, I will get to work on this. It's late here so it will be tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Bob

I think I got it (MX-View). I can't get the computer to accept the IP address. It keeps telling me I've got something wrong. But it looks like it's going to work once I get that right.

I think I got it (MX-View). I can't get the computer to accept the IP address. It keeps telling me I've got something wrong. But it looks like it's going to work once I get that right.

Here is some info I sent someone else having IP troubles, some of this info may apply to you:

Sorry if these questions sound basic but I have to find where you are with the setting up.

Are you connecting the MX to the computer directly or through a hub? if it’s direct you have to use a crossover type ethernet cable, if it’s through a hub a normal ethernet cable.

The MX should have the IP address still set from before, it also should be 192.168.000.001. You can check this in menu number 950 under IP address.

What are the IP address settings in the computer? Check in windows Control Panel > network settings > local area connection > General (tab) > Properties > (Select) Internet Protocol > Properties.

- If you use the Laptop for other things as well as the MX, select “Obtain an IP address automatically” then go to “alternative configuration (tab)” select "user configured” and enter the IP address the same as the MX but with the last number different, for example, 192.168.000.001.

- If you only use the laptop for the MX, you can set this up in “general (tab)” by selecting “use the following IP address” and filling in the information.

NOTE that the “Subnet Mask is always 255.255.255.000 on the computer and the MX.

When you have the computer turned on and then turn on the MX, be patient, the network sometimes takes a while to find the MX and sort out the coms, if you try to connect during this time it causes issues (however if you have used MX view in the past you would have found this).

If you have tried all this and it still does not work let me know, however the problem is usually and IP addressing problem so have a good look into this. You only have to get 1 number out of place and no go.

Cheers
Alan.

I didn't realize I needed a crossover cable. I'll start there and see if that's the problem. Thanks,Bob

I didn't realize I needed a crossover cable. I'll start there and see if that's the problem. Thanks,Bob

That should not stop you entering the IP address in the computer or the MX, it just may not operate correctly. If you have a spare hub laying around you could put one in line, but then you will need 2 x ethernet cables. Also if you have an ethernet cable you can buy crossover adapters.

Alan.

Hi bobkill; I'm just wondering, what did Tascam charge for the Media Card? I too, am surprised they have any. Perhaps they make 'em up periodically, or maybe do so at request. Tip; If you ever need another, you can buy any blank media card, 4 or 8mb, and I think 16's will work too.. you can find them used on ebay, and get anyone who owns an mx2424 to load the OS on to it. In fact, you may want to do this from your MX, after loading it up, in order to have back-up(s) Also, just to mention; The different versions are not a bad thing to have. Some users don't need all the functions on the later/latest versions, and the older versions make it quicker to navigate the menus and easier to learn the menu and the sub-menus. Incidentally, I discovered that you can down-grade versions, if desired.

Hi dan,

The back up plan was to get hold of a card and load up an operating system for bobkill, however as I am on the other side of the world for most here it was the last resort.

The thing with the various operating systems is that some early ones don't work with larger drives and don't work with all the versions of mx-view. I would recommend the latest version. The tascam docs tell what was changed in each version.

Cheers
Alan

Hi Dan Tascam 24, I too was surprised Tascam had any cards, I was expecting to hear that none were available. It was 45.00 dollars with shipping. I've been wondering why someone would want to run an earlier version of the OS, nice to know. Bob

I keep getting told my password is wrong and then when I do get on it tells me I don't have permission to reply to post. So I keep losing what I write. But here I go again. I can't get the computer to make connection with the MX-2424. It tells me I'm not plugged in, so I guess I've got something set wrong on the computer. I can't get a internet connection with a cord either. Do you have to put in a number in the default gateway? And does the recorder have to have the same? Bob

In the PC, Go into the network connections

Control panel > network connections > local area connection:
Check that it is not disabled.

Click on the support tab, it will display IP Address, Subnet mask (and in my case Default gateway, more on this later if required).

At this point you could try clicking on the "repair" button.

Go back to the "General" tab" click Properties > internet protocol > properties:

At this point, if the computer is only connected to the MX, click "use the following IP address 192.168.000.002. Assuming you have set the MX set to the 192.168.000.001 IP address.

If the computer is also connected to a network or the internet, use "obtain an IP address automatically", then go to the "alternate configuration" tab and fill out 192.168.000.002

Subnet Mask is always 255.255.255.0 in all cases.
Click OK.

How did this go?

Alan.

PS,

The site permissions problem with your replies is because it is logging you out before you have typed the answer, click "remember me" button when entering your ID and password.

Last edited:
Hi Alan, Yes, my mistake, especially for running mx view, I didn't think of that. Now, I'm curious; I'll check the Tascam Docs on this, but do the later software versions recognize the full capacity of a hard drive larger than 18gb? I know that even if I use, say a 74gb hard drive, the Tascam only sees 18gb, but would the latest versions recognize more than 18gb of it? I'm running 1.13, which has been great.. I don't use, or really need mx view, but if I can obtain more hard drive space, I'll upgrade. I did it recently, and it made my external scsi drive flip out, and the mx ran slower, so I down-graded back to 1.13. I thought the Tascam "topped-out" at 18gb (?)

Last edited:
Hi Bob, yeah, however, I didn't think of running mx view. Best to stick with Alan's guidance on that. But for a simple, 'analog-like' recording set-up, I really like the earlier 1.13 version.. not so cluttered, and seems to run faster. But also, as Alan mentioned, later versions, apparently recognize larger drives. Just how large, I'm not sure yet, but I thought the mx2424 "topped out" at 18 gb, even if a larger drive was installed. We'll see, I'll search the documents, and Alan probably knows for sure and might reply before I can find the answer.

I have had the latest version, 3.11 I think, ever since it came out and it has always run fine. I also use the latest mx-view version as well. In the early days I was comunicatiing with tascam about bugs quite a lot and most were sorted. There was some thing in the op system update notes about having to format and initialise drives to make it work properly I seem to remember.

Yes the latest op system will see the 74 g drives ok.

I also could not imagine using the mx without mx- view as it makes it so much easier to use. Don't bother with view net as this was the old viewing system before mx- view and is rubbish.

You also need to make sure that the mx has the 256mb stick and not the 128 as this was upgraded to help with the later op system. The memory sticks have to be certain types as not all brands work.

Alan

Hi, I thought the latest OS version was 3.12, this is what Tascam loaded on my card. I tried a different computer and got same result. My Tascam has 128, is this a problem with MX-View? Is there something I need to set on the Tascam? Bob

I think I have a 256mb out of my other Tascam, can I just put that in my machine or does involve something more?

Hi, I thought the latest OS version was 3.12, this is what Tascam loaded on my card. I tried a different computer and got same result. My Tascam has 128, is this a problem with MX-View? Is there something I need to set on the Tascam? Bob

Did you go through my network suggestions for the pc?

Most times there is a problem it's in the ip addresses.

Alan

Yes I went through the steps you laid out. I think the problem must be with the Tascam side because two computers are doing the same thing. When I try to connect with the Tascam I get a connection failed make sure Tascam is on and configured right in menu and make sure cable is plugged in. I don't see anything in Tascam menu to configure. Could it be the 128 memory stick? Either way I'm putting in the 256 stick. My Tascam IP address is exactly the number you said it should be,192.168.000.001. And on the computer I used 192.168.000.003. and the 255.255.255.000 subnet mask. Bob

Yes I went through the steps you laid out. I think the problem must be with the Tascam side because two computers are doing the same thing. When I try to connect with the Tascam I get a connection failed make sure Tascam is on and configured right in menu and make sure cable is plugged in. I don't see anything in Tascam menu to configure. Could it be the 128 memory stick? Either way I'm putting in the 256 stick. My Tascam IP address is exactly the number you said it should be,192.168.000.001. And on the computer I used 192.168.000.003. and the 255.255.255.000 subnet mask. Bob

Can you see the mx2424 in the network window in mx- view? If so did you select it? The mx2424 sometimes takes a while to connect to the pc so you need to wait when starting up.

If everything looks like it should work try clearing preferences in mx-view, you find the clear preferences icon inside the program folder, c drive> program files > tascam > mx view > clear preferences. This sometimes fixes any lookups when mx view gets confused.

Alan

Back