Issue with DP-03

broncolouie

Having recorded, mixed and mastered a song I wrote on my new DP-03 then connecting it to my Yamaha powered monitors, I played back my song from the mastering mode with the headphone and master faders turned down and when I pressed play I had a full signal sent to my monitors bypassing the master fader, lucky for me I had my monitors turned down also. Is this a design flaw, a bad unit? or have I overlooked something? Sent Tascam an e-mail but no response yet.
Thanks.

None of the faders are operational in master mode. Only the phone level volume. Tascam is terrible about responding. I never did get a response about the remote pedal locking up the unit and having to shut it down and lose my unsaved recordings.

Thanks for the response Bill, I have not heard back from Tascam either on this matter. That is too bad that you lost your unsaved recordings as I know how much work goes into getting a good track. I m certainly not a pro by any means but have recorded many tracks in my life and just don't understand why the recorded master playback would not route through the master fader but maybe that is a standard signal routing and I just did not know it. Thanks again Bill.

I think tascam are assuming you either master with headphones or monitors ...not headphones first and then review straight after with monitors.

So if you stayed with monitors throughout then the playback wouldn't be too loud because you have just mastered it on them.

I guess tascam assumed that the phones volume ...the same as the powered speaker volume wouldn't be altered on playback...

Thanks zazz that does make sense, this is a new set-up for me and I recorded, mixed and mastered on headphones until the correct cables came in to connect the monitors.

Well I did test it with the demo song ...and the output when mastering was really high ...my powered monitors were practically on zero for a fairly quiet volume....if I had them on their normal setting it would probably deafen me....scary for sure.

Thanks zazz it's good to know that I don't have a defective unit, it is scary and I am surprised that I am not seeing any comments on this anywhere on the internet but maybe others are set up differently. I am coming out of the DP-03's unbalanced RCA's and into my Yamaha HS 50M's 1/4" inputs with good quality unbalanced RCA to 1/4" cables. This is not a problem now that I know but it came as quite the surprise :eek: when my monitors were turned up about 40% and I hit the playback button.

Back