How good is the Tascam US-1800?

gongli

I am recording with Tascam us-1800 with pretty decent condenser mics, and wondering just how good the Tascam is... Is it good enough for creating red book CDs?

The pre seems clean enough, although not warm like tubes... What do you all experts think about this one?

Thanks in advance !

Well I think it is important to put things in perspective here. Yes, the interface is a worthy entry level interface. Does it make it possible to record something great? Well I would say yes.

Whether something recorded is worthy of anything (and what that is) is up to you.

Keep in mind there are much more important variables than the recording interface. In fact, likely everything else is more important IMO. Song, tone, room, talent, are just a few that I would be worried about before the interface.

The 1800 is quite clean from my experience and it will not limit you from recording something great.

Didn't you just ask this question a few days ago??? Is this another thread you're going to ignore. :confused:

There's better than the US 1800 but for any significant improvement you'd have to spend a LOT more, not just a little bit. Even then, the changes would be on the subtle side.

If you want BIG changes, then spend money on room acoustics and microphones.

Mention of a Red Book CD is a big red herring though. I could produce a red book CD with rubbish I recorded with the built in mic on my lap top. The Red Book specs are technical details of how your files need to be prepared but don't deal with "musical quality".

If you want advice (and you probably don't) stick with the US 1800 and work on performance, acoustics...and get the best mics you can afford.

The only thing I don't like is nothing to do with sound quality, it's that my computer often forgets it's there. I have to switch it off and start it up again! Probably the computer but it doesn't happen with my out her devices. I have no complaints about audio quality. When my mics all cost far more than they do at the moment, that's when I will need to spend more money, maybe? In analogue days equipment differences were pretty wide and very easy to hear. Now the differences are so small that in a mix I seriously doubt they're anywhere near so important now we don't, by and large, have hiss, hums and crackles.

Thanks a million everyone !
Your voices of experience is worth gold to someone like me just starting out...

Have a good one !

The only thing I don't like is nothing to do with sound quality, it's that my computer often forgets it's there. I have to switch it off and start it up again! Probably the computer but it doesn't happen with my out her devices. I have no complaints about audio quality. When my mics all cost far more than they do at the moment, that's when I will need to spend more money, maybe? In analogue days equipment differences were pretty wide and very easy to hear. Now the differences are so small that in a mix I seriously doubt they're anywhere near so important now we don't, by and large, have hiss, hums and crackles.

Make sure your computer isn't going into sleep mode and also check to make sure that even if it doesn't go to sleep, the USB ports stay on at all times. It will be under Power Settings advanced.

No, I asked to compare US-1800 with Audient ASP880 if you go back and do research.

I must say that your response here to Chili comes across as a bit 'assholish'. I don't understand why you would respond in such a way when you are asking for suggestions.

As far as 'research' goes, it seems you have not done much yourself.

By the way, as stated twice now on two threads which you did 'ignore' and choose to not to take as important, your most important goal is to capture your performance as best as you can.

This means making sure the room, instrument and performance are the best it can be. The best mic or preamp can't 'fix' what it is given. This all involves much more than a simple answer.

Forget about your interface. It is the least issue in regards to quality recording at this point.

Don't get me wrong man, I always wish to help and will continue to do so. But you really should take each step in the recording chain seriously. First step would be to not be a dick and take the advice given.

Sorry for the semi-rant, but I at one time needed to be smacked in the face when wanting to find the 'holy grail' of recording. There is not one. It is all about every little detail throughout the process that makes a difference.

Haha - please set up a good example for others to follow since you are a moderator

I must say that your response here to Chili comes across as a bit 'assholish'. I don't understand why you would respond in such a way when you are asking for suggestions.

As far as 'research' goes, it seems you have not done much yourself.

By the way, as stated twice now on two threads which you did 'ignore' and choose to not to take as important, your most important goal is to capture your performance as best as you can.

This means making sure the room, instrument and performance are the best it can be. The best mic or preamp can't 'fix' what it is given. This all involves much more than a simple answer.

Forget about your interface. It is the least issue in regards to quality recording at this point.

Don't get me wrong man, I always wish to help and will continue to do so. But you really should take each step in the recording chain seriously. First step would be to not be a dick and take the advice given.

Sorry for the semi-rant, but I at one time needed to be smacked in the face when wanting to find the 'holy grail' of recording. There is not one. It is all about every little detail throughout the process that makes a difference.

That's good you are trying to help here with recording tips, but try to keep it pleasant for us all by keeping it civil - after all, you are a moderator - you should set up a good example for others. I don't know your age, but as we grow more mature, we tend to appreciate refinement in speech in sights like these.

I was a bit taken back with the tone of the poster I reponded, and perhaps was a bit flippand - I will try to better next time, but hope you do too.

I like you already, Gongli. :)

It's poor forum etiquette to post the (basically) same question twice. You could have used your original post to further your line of questioning about the US-1800. A unit both Jimmy and I have experience with.

When you posted the second thread, it made me think you ignored the first one.

I apologize for coming off a bit brusk.

That's good you are trying to help here with recording tips, but try to keep it pleasant for us all by keeping it civil - after all, you are a moderator - you should set up a good example for others. I don't know your age, but as we grow more mature, we tend to appreciate refinement in speech in sights like these.

I was a bit taken back with the tone of the poster I reponded, and perhaps was a bit flippand - I will try to better next time, but hope you do too.

Let's just say, this is a good spot to get information for your endeavor. But when you told Chilli he should have done more research, that came across somewhat negative. These texts are hard to tell the tone of someone and until we get to know you, be careful of the words you throw out there.

That being said, as has been stated, walk through the process outlined. When you reach your highest level with good equipment, then you will know when it time to upgrade. I think for a starter the 1800 is a fine choice. Works well for me at my level. When I have better room, better mics and what not, then it will be time to look at the interface if it turns out to be the weakest link.

That is the key, find your weakest link. But you won't know that until you get your systems and recording environments understood and mastered. You will get some good recordings with what you have by just following the process, then when ready, start upgrading.

I appreciate your response and I may have been a bit bitchy in my reply. Moderator does not mean I have to moderate my opinion as a member right? Well maybe I should..

I am a father and it is normal for me to hear my kids want the easy way to do anything. When I read a new members post that has the typical sound of being 'entitled' to information, I tend to go all daddy on them.

My bad. I agree with you.

BTW my age is posted.

And I meant no disrespect to you gongli. I needed a swift kick in the ass when I started this recording thing myself. I suppose I just attempted to throw a foot your way.

Carry on and have fun man!

I wonder if part of the reason for this thread (and the other one) stems from the Audient site itself. In typical marketing speak it says:

ASP880 is an 8-channel microphone preamplifier & ADC that will transform your sessions into world class recordings

The trouble is, there's no magic bullet that will turn a recording into "world class" by simply spending $1400 or so. As discussed, making a world class recording is a complex mix of the performance, the acoustics, the microphone, the ability of the person mixing and a ton of other factors. As long as the preamps/interface are okay, they're far from the most important element.

I wish marketing people wouldn't artificially raise expectations.

Thank you for all the warm posts - I truly feel welcomed here...
I want to hang around you guys and learn about many things.

Sincere thanks to all those posted -

You guys are a great source of info, I truly appreciate it !

I'm looking for a new interface to step up my game but reading all the nice words about the Tascam-1800, I'll try to get my hand on one. Thanks guys!

Back