Help! Tascam M-312B

Krakit

Rzzzzz!
Hi.
I have a friend that bought a used Tascam M-312B and there's a problem.

The first 8 tracks won't turn on. I don't know if the thing is broken or that something is eluding me.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

All the tracks from 9 up work just fine.

Thanks,
Carl

On the right hand side of the board, there is a dedicated tape sub-mix system with 8 pots and tape switches just above the 1-4 buss master faders.

If the tape buttons are depressed and on, it will channel the tape returns away from the first 8 channels of the mixer and instead route the sound to the stereo buss if they are switched on active.

This sub-mixer is used for creating auxiliary mixes when you need the main mixer strips for creating complex tracking mixes like Mic'ing a drum kit with several Mic's and still hearing what is on the tape tracks at the same time.

You also have to double check that all the main mixer channels are turned on, that solo buttons are off and that each channel is switched to the desired input and routed properly though the 1-4 and stereo buss buttons on each channel.

The M300 series of boards are a very complex and full featured mixer and if you are not familiar with it, there are a few sand-traps that are not intuitive to get out of without the manual or previous experience.

Let me know if that solved the problem for you!

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
On the right hand side of the board, there is a dedicated tape sub-mix system with 8 pots and tape switches just above the 1-4 buss master faders.

If the tape buttons are depressed and on, it will channel the tape returns away from the first 8 channels of the mixer and instead route the sound to the stereo buss if they are switched on active.

This sub-mixer is used for creating auxiliary mixes when you need the main mixer strips for creating complex tracking mixes like Mic'ing a drum kit with several Mic's and still hearing what is on the tape tracks at the same time.

You also have to double check that all the main mixer channels are turned on, that solo buttons are off and that each channel is switched to the desired input and routed properly though the 1-4 and stereo buss buttons on each channel.

The M300 series of boards are a very complex and full featured mixer and if you are not familiar with it, there are a few sand-traps that are not intuitive to get out of without the manual or previous experience.

Let me know if that solved the problem for you!

I appreciate the help. Sounds like you might have gotten it. I noticed that the main solo light was one and I couldn't shut it off.

I didn't see any individual solo buttons on the tracks themselves. Are they even labled "solo?"

I'm going to be working on this board again next weekend. Hopefully, what you have shared with me tonight will be the ticket to smooth sailing.

Thanks,
Carl

There are PFL solo buttons and lights on each channel. The lights are just a red LED so, double check if a button is depressed in and on with perhaps just a burnt out LED.

Also on the buss master faders,1 - 4, there are AFL solo switches and red LED's. Check for those too.

Thanks a ton Ghost. Your help on this is indespensible. I don't have the board in front of me right now, but like I said, next weekend I will.

I hope that none of the LEDs are burnt. This enigma is difficult enough without any red herrings to chase down.

I'll keep you posted on my results.

Thanks again,
Carl

Back