Help needed for confused older chap...

ac30kev

Hi.

I have just bought a 2488 MKII, which contains many songs and snippets from the previous owner.
I've even managed to record a couple of tracks too.
My issue is that even though I have connected it to an amp, I cannot hear the tracks playing. Same with the headphones.
If I press the stereo button (as per pg. 34 of the manual) and turn the jog wheel to, say, track 1/2 then I can hear just track 1/2, same with 3/4, 5/6 etc. so I know they all work.
track lvl on the screen reads 1, not matter where the fader is (faders have no effect on output volumes)
All the tracks work like this, but I cannot mix down ALL the tracks.
I have read the manual and searched the internet but to no avail.

I know this will be something stupidly obvious, but for the life of me, I cannot see what I have (or have not) done.

Can anyone help, please?

Not familiar with this machine but there has to be some kind of switching to get the signal to a stereo output. Sounds like you're just tapping into individual tracks right now. Everything needs to go to a buss.
I'd say read and re-read your manual till you know it well.
But I'm almost certain that before too long someone will come forward who's familiar with it.

:D

Top right corner of the machine there is a section called 'MONITOR'. If it isn't lit, cycle the 'Monitor Source' button a few times to get the 'Stereo' LED to light. With the faders up on the tracks you want to listen to, turn up the 'Monitor Level' control with either the speaker or headphones connected. Be sure the "Mute' LED isn't lit.

I think the 'Stereo' button you referenced on pg. 34 has to do with applying dynamics or other effects to stereo tracks, so it may not do what you think it does.

Not familiar with this machine but there has to be some kind of switching to get the signal to a stereo output. Sounds like you're just tapping into individual tracks right now. Everything needs to go to a buss.
I'd say read and re-read your manual till you know it well.
But I'm almost certain that before too long someone will come forward who's familiar with it.

:D

Thank you for the reply RFR. I feel you are right and I am just tapping into the individual tracks, which while useful, is not exactly what I'm after... I've read and re-read the manual until it's just a blur of words but nothing seems to highlight my particular problem.

Top right corner of the machine there is a section called 'MONITOR'. If it isn't lit, cycle the 'Monitor Source' button a few times to get the 'Stereo' LED to light. With the faders up on the tracks you want to listen to, turn up the 'Monitor Level' control with either the speaker or headphones connected. Be sure the "Mute' LED isn't lit.

I think the 'Stereo' button you referenced on pg. 34 has to do with applying dynamics or other effects to stereo tracks, so it may not do what you think it does.

Thank you also for the reply arcaxis . Monitor section Stereo led is lit. Faders can be up or down but it makes no difference to either speakers or headphones. Mute definitely not lit.the streo button does apply compression, etc, but can also be used to route a pair of tracks to the stereo output. Confusing...:rolleyes:

UPDATE: I tried a different track and the sodding faders do work on this one.
I have noticed the 'LVL' and 'INT' fader on the display when I have pressed the stereo button both show values now, whereas on the first track just 'LVL' showed with a value of 1 (ie, almost off).
I'm learning something anyway...

If anyone knows any more, please feel free to educate me

I have the 2488NEO version which is not much different than what you have. Pretty much should just be able to power the unit on and move the channel faders up on the tracks that have recorded material on them, set the main 'STEREO' fader at '0', and set the monitor section as I had noted previously. That should give audio on the headphones and the monitor out jacks.

When you recorded your own tracks were you able to use headphones to monitor what you recorded?

I have the 2488NEO version which is not much different than what you have. Pretty much should just be able to power the unit on and move the channel faders up on the tracks that have recorded material on them, set the main 'STEREO' fader at '0', and set the monitor section as I had noted previously. That should give audio on the headphones and the monitor out jacks.

When you recorded your own tracks were you able to use headphones to monitor what you recorded?

Cheers Mark,

It turns out my headphone connection was broken anyway, having said that no sound came from the speakers on certain songs. Odd.

If you look at the pictures below, it sort of explains my issue. The first pic shows a song that I can mix and play about with.
IMG_20180410_073659.jpg

The second shows the 'INT' value missing and does not allow me to mess about, er, I mean mix...
IMG_20180410_073815.jpg

I know I didn't need to use the stereo button to mix down, but it gives me a visual indication of mix availability, hence why I used it.

Is there a way to lock the song so they can't be messed with, I wonder? I'm sure I read something about protecting, but I'm at work now and cannot access the manual.

This is what you get for buying second hand... maybe I should just format the lot and start again (after listening to some of the songs, that may be for the best...)

Any more advice, I'm more than willing to listen to. Thanks for your help so far.

Back