Help!! DA98HR stuck tape cassette

minerva

Hi Everyone ,
this is my first posting here have a major problem My DA98hr I recently aquired. it has a cassette tape in the drive that refuses to eject,:cursing::cursing: Took the lid off to have a look and it would seem the tape was not tightly wound enough when I put it into play mode the first time. The state it is now is the extra tape is out of the tape path guides the front panel says no tape. when I try to eject the tape the backlit info screen starts flashing citing (Error 21). If there is a way of getting the tape mechanism to lift the cassette to the tape aperture i'm sure no damage would be done.

Does anyone know a way of getting it to eject the tape in its current state?
Hopefully without having to send it off for a very expensive service charge.

No experience with that particular machine, but sometimes you just gotta take the damn things apart.

Search for some youtube videos on that model, might steer you in the right direction for doing it yourself if you are handy.

If the transport is built anything like a VCR's mechanism, just on a smaller scale, look for a toothed gear or cam drive wheel that can be manually turned by hand, that is associated with the eject mechanism.

I've had good success in the past with getting jammed tapes out of VCRs using that method.

The real issue though may not be a poorly wound tape but something all together different related to an actual mechanical issue with the transport of the 98hr that the seller neglected to disclose.

Cheers! :)

Thanks for the suggestions RFR and Ghost:thumbs up: gonna try and see if I can manually wind the tape mechanism as suggested , as it happens I contacted Moloco repairs who suggested the same as you Ghost... If that fails I think I'll send it to Moloco their labour charges seem quite reasonable.

Thanks for answering so quickly guys really appreciated :)

Yep, open it up and find a gear or pulley you can use to advance the mechanism. You might need a small implement to reach and push the gear or pulley. Sometimes a pencil's eraser end works if the pencil's not too fat to get where it needs to go.

DA98HR? You do know there are easier ways to record, right?

On the left rear of the transport there is a vertically mounted motor held by two screws.Remove them and lift the motor up.You can cycle the transport enough to get the tape out.Then you have to find out why it jammed in the first place.

Back