DP24SD Operation by Totally-Blind Recordist

I am totally blind and am beginning to use the DP24SD (the SD designation is critical). Tascam has apparently fixed a few things which help us: The menus which I have used do not wrap; The ones I have used appear to always startthe user at the same place when activated (I emphasize "that I have used" because I have used only a few of them). I would say that any blind person attempting to run this unit should for sure have a copy of the full user manual AND A LIGHT PROBE which can be pointed narrowly at a particular button. There are some tricks you must learn from the manual. The "Auto Punch" isn't quite as straightforward as I had on my Fostex MR8-HD; but I have learned it and can use it very effectively. Lest I bore many users, I'll just say that I will elaborate to the extent of my knowledge according to any interest I see here. For one thing, I have a rather detailed description of the names and locations of the buttons, knobs, and jacks on the top and back panels. This unit has a very good complement of REAL knobs and buttons. I relish the challenge of learning this machine and producing recordings on it. My Fostex was showing its age, so I needed a replacement machine. I can tell anyone where I bought my unit if it is appropriate, but I'm new and don't want to violate forum rules.

What is with the SD ? Is that because it is the latest firmware that makes it useful ?

What is with the SD ? Is that because it is the latest firmware that makes it useful ?
Not sure what the operational difference is, but the 'SD' refers to the storage on SD cards rather than a built in hard drive which previous models had.

I get that, but maybe it is just ease of transferring files - I am just curious what is "critical" ( like Tascam makes transferring files easy. we know that is impossible)

Not sure what the operational difference is, but the 'SD' refers to the storage on SD cards rather than a built in hard drive which previous models had.

Actually, the SD designation came after the DP24 and DP32 were introduced, which also used SD cards. The difference is the models designated "SD" have no CD drive, and no midi ports. I'm not sure why it's important in the OP, though.

I get that, but maybe it is just ease of transferring files - I am just curious what is "critical" ( like Tascam makes transferring files easy. we know that is impossible)

Transferring files has never been easier. Because the DP models write to WAV natively there's no need to convert files from a proprietary format. Because these use SD cards, transferring files is as easy as moving the card from the DP to your computer, or use USB.

My old Tascam uses Compact Flash and I have to boot into USB mode, or pull the card. It doesn't need SD for anything, so it seems immaterial : )

Apparently, the Fostex "was" working fine and there is no mention of why the Tascam is a reasonable replacement. My older Fostex DMT8-vl only has optical out and I find that unreliable. So, I just dump the 8-channels into my interface over patch cable snake. Possibly, even easier ? Same with the Akai DR-8,

My old Tascam uses Compact Flash and I have to boot into USB mode, or pull the card. It doesn't need SD for anything, so it seems immaterial : )

We're talking about the DP series here, not your old Tascam whatever it is. It isn't just about the physical package of the storage unit (i.e.; CF vs SD), but the format of the recorded files (WAV vs Proprietary). No need to partition the card either, because no conversion takes place. We're talking apples and oranges here.

ya, there's been a million posts on 2488 and the like. Nothing new there. And not just Tascam. I have my three digital recorders because I don't have to mess with those issues. I remember IBM's PS/2 cards : )

Anyway, anytime a developer can not use a MS file system, it will probably work a lot better. Then, they could sell this stuff so one wouldn't need a computer. Now, it is some connection generation. Guitar and synths have to have a USB controller GUI. hahah

Tascam made an older DP24 without the SD designation. This machine had a CD burner. If you get the wrong manual from the internet, you will see instructions about this machine which won't apply to the new DP24 SD. While I don't know what the "SD" means, I know that any discussion I do will be on the DP24SD machine. I have a computer for burning CDs, so I wouldn't try to burn CDs on a machine having no voice prompts built in as you would have on a PC with a screen reader. My concern with an old DP24 is that a blind person might burn many coasters before knowing for sure what is going on.

I like the SD cards for storage because I am familiar with them. Thanks for enlightening me on the meaning of the "SD" designation.

I used the word "critical" because I wanted to make sure that any discussion I would undertake would be on the same machine that I am using. I originally downloaded the wrong manual, which discussed the CD tray. So here I am feeling all over the front of the machine for a CD tray where none exists on the "SD" unit. I admit that I am a bit picky when I attempt to describe operation of a machine to another blind person. In order to make sure that I would be describing the same machine that another blind person might want, I said that the "SD" is critical to ensure that we would both be discussing the same machine.

The "SD" designation is important only if other blind or visually-impaired persons would see my post, decide that they want to get such a machine, and try their hand at using one. For most of you, the screens and menus on the machine would guide you so that even if your machine was slightly different from the "SD" unit, you could figure it out. But I have experienced cases in which I couldn't figure out something which was supposed to work, and I learned that I had a different unit from the one described in something I had read. So, to clear the air, I used the word "critical" because I wanted any blind person who might want to try this recorder to do their best to obtain the manual and recorder with that "SD" designation so that we would both be discussing the same machine.

Back