DP-24... it has to be said

NotThatBright

The DP-24 has a design flaw. For all intents and purposes, you cannot record in 24-bit with the DP-24. I feel safe saying that at this point.

That was stupid for me to post, I was venting after finally giving up trying to get the goddamned thing to do what your second highlighted bullet point says it can do. I suppose the Christian thing to do would be to offer a reason for my libel.

The first thing I always record is drums, 8 inputs at once. Whenever I try to do this in 24-bit, there are always loud static pops that show on the -db readout for each track, and are recorded along with the intended sound. There are many people on this site who've complained about these pops... I think I was the only one who narrowed it down to just when trying to record 24-bit (the only one who posted that that I've seen, anyway). I have tried all kinds of different SD cards. No problems with 16-bit, all with 24-bit.

If there is someone out there who has successfully recorded in 24-bit using all 8 inputs at once (so it would likely be drums you were recording), and with no loud SNAPS in the recording, do me a favor and let me know. Given the amount of people who've complained about the snaps I've come to believe it's a design flaw and not just a problem specifically with MY dp-24.

I've done 8 tracks at once in 24 bit depth with no problems. I was using 44.1k sample rate though. I tracked a band all day long and no problems. Kingston micro SD chip with the SD adapter, class 10. Also straight mic to track...no other on board processing such as compression. Playback checked fine in the unit and tracks sounded fine when exported for use in my DAW.

hope this helps with your trouble shooting.

I should also add, and I think this is very important, that when ever I put a fresh card in the 24 I do a FULL format (using the DP24 utility).
I used to have trouble with a Marantz digital recorder and formatting inside the machine solved it.

I should also add, and I think this is very important, that when ever I put a fresh card in the 24 I do a FULL format (using the DP24 utility).
I used to have trouble with a Marantz digital recorder and formatting inside the machine solved it.

Thanks for responding. The problem I've had doesn't seem to be related to the sample rate... I've tried them both many times with 24-bit to see if some combination would work, and none has. I've formatted my SD cards with the DP-24 countless times... formatting has solved some other problems I've had with it, like skipping during mixdown, but it's done nothing for this one.

This isn't that big a deal to me... at this point I'm probably more annoyed by the fact that I can't find a solution than the actual problem. The hell with it.

The DP-24 has a design flaw. For all intents and purposes, you cannot record in 24-bit with the DP-24. I feel safe saying that at this point.

I am having the same issue. I am sending back the DP-24 for repair and I agree this is a design flaw. I assume most users do not record at 24-bit and never have this problem. Are there any users, besides darscuzio, who record at 24-bit who do not get spikes/pops?

I am having the same issue. I am sending back the DP-24 for repair and I agree this is a design flaw. I assume most users do not record at 24-bit and never have this problem. Are there any users, besides darscuzio, who record at 24-bit who do not get spikes/pops?

Yeah man, I was sure of it. Everything else works fine, and lots of people have complained about these snaps, so I would be surprised if only my machine has this problem when recording in 24 bit. There are also some guys on here who seem to know how to remedy every other problem that people have with the DP-24, but didn't touch this one. I figure it's likely that at least one of them works for Tascam.

Do me a favor and let me know how it turns out when you talk to the folks at Tascam about it. Thanks.

I can almost 100% guarantee you that it is your memory card. I went through 10 types of $10 - $25, class 10 cards, before I found a stable one. Of course the one that worked was a $120 card, but it hasn't crashed or made any other kind of error since I installed it.

I can almost 100% guarantee you that it is your memory card. I went through 10 types of $10 - $25, class 10 cards, before I found a stable one. Of course the one that worked was a $120 card, but it hasn't crashed or made any other kind of error since I installed it.

I can understand why you feel that way... every other problem I ever had with this thing was solved by formatting the SD card (this is after I tossed all the cheap ones I had and got good ones). For instance, I made a habit of saving my songs to my computer's hard drive from the SD card before I went to do the mixdown and mastering, because every so often there'd be skipping in the song when I was doing the mixdown. At that point I'd format the card, pull the song info back to it from the computer hard drive, try it again, and it'd be fine. A nuisance, but no big deal.

This is different. All 8 inputs recording at once in 24-bit, there will invariably be these loud pops. It's not due to overload, which was one of the things I initially thought it might be, as I used to record drums in the clipping range... but I eventually corrected that and kept the signals between -12 and -24dbf, and same problem.

I tried it with all the firmware updates, too... no dice. I wonder if this is something they can correct with firmware if they ever address it.

Are you recording at 24 bit? Two cards I have tried have failed, one that was shipped with the recorder and another on Tascams approved tested media list.

Could you tell me the card you are using that works. Sorry to hear that you spent more on SD cards than the cost of the recorder. I don't want to do this.

Back