DP-24/DP-32 sound quality advice

benmarwood

Hi everyone,

Seems like a lot of people around here are familiar with DP-24/32 so I'm wondering if someone can help me out.

I'm looking to upgrade from my current portastudio - a 788 I bought in 2001 that is beautiful but creaking and completely full of years of stuff - and I want to stay with Tascam. For guidance I've always used Sound On Sound reviews, but in their piece on the DP-24 they were saying the audio quality is a little 'soft' and that it could be used well for demos (which I took to mean not quite up to studio use, though it may be a poor choice of words).

Most user reviews I've seen have been complimentary about the audio quality aside from one I found for the 32 which was criticising a lack of "highs". Has anyone found a problem or noticeable difference between the DP24/32 and studio recordings?

I'm only going to be using it for recording without effects, and then I'll just export tracks to a studio for mix/master, so I'm really only concerned about audio quality, although I always had fun with the 788's great cut/paste functions. It's probably important to mention that it doesn't have to sound flash/big-budget because I'm not going to try anything spectacular, but it should be comparable to studio quality. I'll probably only use it for acoustic guitar/vox/backing vox and do everything else elsewhere. Any opinions?

Thank you!
Ben

For the price,they can't be beat.The one negative review may have been written by someone unfamiliar with the EQ settings or maybe who's ears are fried from standing in front of a Marshall stack...

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I figured it shouldn't be much different to the output from the 788 but it seemed sensible to check here first, since it's a chunk of money (and I can't really justify spending loads more setting up a big DAW if the DP series can do the job).

Hi everyone,

Seems like a lot of people around here are familiar with DP-24/32 so I'm wondering if someone can help me out.

I'm looking to upgrade from my current portastudio - a 788 I bought in 2001 that is beautiful but creaking and completely full of years of stuff - and I want to stay with Tascam. For guidance I've always used Sound On Sound reviews, but in their piece on the DP-24 they were saying the audio quality is a little 'soft' and that it could be used well for demos (which I took to mean not quite up to studio use, though it may be a poor choice of words).

Most user reviews I've seen have been complimentary about the audio quality aside from one I found for the 32 which was criticising a lack of "highs". Has anyone found a problem or noticeable difference between the DP24/32 and studio recordings?

I'm only going to be using it for recording without effects, and then I'll just export tracks to a studio for mix/master, so I'm really only concerned about audio quality, although I always had fun with the 788's great cut/paste functions. It's probably important to mention that it doesn't have to sound flash/big-budget because I'm not going to try anything spectacular, but it should be comparable to studio quality. I'll probably only use it for acoustic guitar/vox/backing vox and do everything else elsewhere. Any opinions?

Thank you!
Ben

Listen..........I've used the DP-24 for a long time now and it's been great. I have no real idea how someone could characterize the "sound quality" as being anything but accurate.......to the extent that most recorders are accurate. So go for it. I'm sure you'll be happy you did.

Back