buzzing with alesis ineko

tmartin92

I have a Porta 02 (MKII) that works great. I also have an Alesis Ineko effects processer that works fine (on its own). However, I get an awful buzz when I put the Alesis between the mic and the 4-track. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I've never used an 02, but as a rule, I don't add effects when using a Portastudio until mixdown.

As for that annoying buzz, could be a ground loop, a bad connection, a bad cable, and a ton of other evils found in the studio. (Could I be less specific?) Troubleshoot these possibilities one at a time until you can isolate the problem. This is the essence of being a recording engineer, and it is a never-ending problem.

Try a star grounding regiment that calls for all of your AC power plugs to go into a singular power bar on a singular outlet in the room.

If you have more gear then what the power bar can accommodate, plug a secondary power bar into the first one and most hums of the 60hz variety should diminish.

When you use different outlets throughout the room, a ground loop and resultant hum will generally occur from the different ground potentials between the various pieces of equipment.

Cheers! :)

Thanks, folks. Still not able to figure this one out . . .
Maybe it's the AC in my house. The weird thing is that each unit works fine on its own: for example, no noise with the mic into the alesis into an amp, and no noise with the mic into the 4-track. It's only when I connect the mic into the alesis into the 4-track.

One question to Dig:
How do you add effects during mixdown with your Portastudio? The 02 MKII doesn't have an effects loop . . . isn't it necessary for me to apply my effects to the track?

Thanks again for your replies . . . happy holidays!

tmartin92 said:
One question to Dig:
How do you add effects during mixdown with your Portastudio? The 02 MKII doesn't have an effects loop . . . isn't it necessary for me to apply my effects to the track?

Thanks again for your replies . . . happy holidays!

Both my Portas have 2 fx sends, plus RCA outs for the individual channels. (which see little action) I do use some fx when printing to tape (outboard EQ, compression) that get routed into the insert jacks of my TASCAM 464. But most everything else gets effects on mixdown.

If your 02 has only line out, you'll either need a mixer (your PA?) with effect sends or put fx on the signal as you print to tape like you have been doing.

Your buzz is a conundrum; if you are plugging both units' power supplies into the same power strip are the AC adapters nearby?

Sounds like you know your way around a studio, maybe someone else has some ideas...

Back