Basic info info for Tascam 424

Speedy

I'm brand new to recording, and I'm thinking about getting a 424MkIII. I thought I could just read the owners' manual to understand how to work it, but I just read an entry from someone who jus found out that the "pan" is just a form of "buss," or something like that. I don't even know what those are! Also, what is trim? If some one could spare a minute to clue in a newcomer, please?

Pan - Controls the left/right split of a channel. "Hard left" sends all the signal to the left, "hard right" sends all the signal to the right, and then you've got everything in between.

Trim - This is the preamp for a given track. Mics have a very low signal level which needs to be boosted to be usable, so you turn up the trim to get a better signal level. If your signal is at line level (such as a keyboard, a signal processor you're running a guitar through, etc.) then you keep the trim lower because the signal is coming in at a higher level.

Hope that helps. Keep reading these forums and use the search capability and you'll be surprised how quickly you learn.

Hey I'm in the same boat as Speedy. I'm getting ready to buy a Tascam 424mkIII (found a brand new one on sale for $399). I've never recorded in my life except hitting "RECORD" on a boombox. I hope I can just learn the basics by reading the manual and checking out sites such as these to learn how. But the 424 seems like a good investment. I'm sure I'll have questions once I buy it. Also, how exactly do you get sound (like my band playing in the basement) "into" a computer. Also I'd love to get into editing music on my computer.

I'm familiar with trim/gain/sends/returns & all the protocol, but when I look at a mixer, it can be quit confusing! I never get a chance to use much equipment, so I too am a little perplexed about some things.

Isaiah

It's as simple as getting an "audio Y cable" that has 2 RCA plugs on one end, and a single stereo plug (1/8"?) on the other. Plug the RCA jacks into the "Line Out" on the back of the 424MKIII and the stereo plug into the Line In of your computer's sound card (or if you have a crummy brand computer with the sound built into the mobo, plug it in there).

El Barto is right. I just started recording on a PC and have been transferring songs from my 414 to the PC exactly like this. You'll also need some kind of software package to do anything beyond just recording WAV files. I don't have a separate editing package, at least not yet. All I'm using is a mulitracking package - N-Track.

Maybe someone else could recommend a software package - or you could try asking about that in the Computers and Soundcards Forum.

[This message has been edited by DaveO (edited 07-12-2000).]

Back