Another person w/ mixing trouble!

Darkhorse

OK first of all I have 2 questions. I have a tascam 488 8-track machine. I don't have any thing that great to mix down to. It's just a stereo. And I don't have the money for something great - Anyway - On the stereo itself, is a built in Graphic equalizer (just more sliders and dials to oooh and ahh buyers). So my question is - when mixing down to the stereo what should these graphic equalizers be set at - There are so many variables in mixing - and this "graphic equalizer" only enhances the variables. Because obviously they are going to make a difference in the way it sounds to me on playback. And then along with the equalizers is another slider called a DBB - And I don't even know what that is. Should these settings be set at 0?

My second question is about a processor - I think it's called a Digitech Studio something something or other. Currently when I record - I go from the MIC to the PROCESSOR straight into the 8-track and record. Is this the best way to be utilizing the processor? Because I lost my Tascam user's manual but I remember it saying something about the effect knobs that are underneath the EQ - is there a way to utilize the effect section of the tascam with the processor?

I'd appreciate any help!!

As far as the graphic EQ on your stereo, I would leave everyting (3 band?/ 5 band?) flat with no boost, and use the EQ on your mixer to make any adjustments. You have way more control on your mixer because the stereo EQ will affect the entire signal, as the mixer EQ can be utilized on individual tracks. If you do feel the need to use it, do so only on playback from the stereo unit, not while mixing/recording.
DBB sounds to me like a bass boost - same principle as EQ.
As for you effects, you can set up an effects loop that can be assigned to any or all tracks on the mixer. Use the effects send located on the far left of the back on the console, patched to the input (left input if mono) of your effects device. Then, take the output of your effects device and patch to the stereo returns in the extra channels (9-10 or 11-12) tascam gives us on the mixer. Using mono cables (tip/ring) you can patch into both 9-10 and 11-12 if you have stereo outputs on your effects device, or just use 9-10 with one mono cable and the mixer will automaticly assign the effects to both, as it is normalled to both channels. With stereo cables (tip/ring/sleeve) [I use a stereo Y-connector], only one is needed for each return input.
Good luck!

Back