488 belts

iamjethro

I bought a 488 new years ago. Got put in a closet after only recording about 2 songs. got it out agin a few years ago and recorded a mother's day cd with my Kindergarten son singing. Now, I have finally gotten room to set things up and maybe actually use it. I am afraid after reading the posts here that I might have trouble eventually with the belts as they may be old and need replacing jusst due to age. How difficult is this? Where can I get the belts? Any info on working on this unit would be appreciated. I thought about just sucking it up and buying a 2488 or something, but I hate to just disregard this recorder that has never reallly been used.

I'd not worry until it started showing symptoms.

Tascam Parts sells replacement belts, as well as at least one vendor on eBay who is currently selling belt "kits" specified to each recorder. It's not difficult to replace the main belt, but I'd not sweat it until it seemed to have speed issues or stopped working altogether. If it was well kept in temperate conditions, the rubber may still be intact and nubile, even this late in the game.:eek:;)

Cool. I am the original owner and it has been in AC/Heated houses always. It should be fine for a while I hope. I really feel it needs to be cleaned well. I might even take the top off and use a computer air can to blow it out also.

Thanks for the replies. Anything else I need to know about keeping it in order.

Was it stored in the original box, or other?

...................................:eek:;)

Attachments

• Tascam 488.jpg
    Tascam 488.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Yep. Original box. I am actually looking forward to getting started with it pretty soon. If anyone has a page with songs they did on a 488, I would love some inspiration.

Yep. Original box. I am actually looking forward to getting started with it pretty soon. If anyone has a page with songs they did on a 488, I would love some inspiration.

That's a trip. How often does that happen? What kinda friend...? Never mind.

Anyway, no hard feelings. It's kinda funny. I felt if someone logs on only a couple times a year just to criticize me, I'm kinda honored. (Heh).

I suppose your friend's version of that song really rules over mine. I'd love to hear it.

Thanx again!:eek:;)

Last edited:
Back