424mkII - don't know how to put 3 tracks down to 1

Casey Gallagher

I bought a Tascam 424mkII second hand, and the guy didn't have a manual for it. I have worked out how to record a track on to 1, 2, and 3, but I can not work how to ping-pong them all down to track 4.I have spent ages fidling around but can't work it out.
If you know the solution I would very much aprieciate it. cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Casey Gallagher:
I bought a Tascam 424mkII second hand, and the guy didn't have a manual for it. I have worked out how to record a track on to 1, 2, and 3, but I can not work how to ping-pong them all down to track 4.I have spent ages fidling around but can't work it out.
If you know the solution I would very much aprieciate it. cheers
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I personally have not used this machine, I've used several Tascam porta studios, and they all essentially worked in the same manner-each just had upgrades.

Put your 3 tracks in tape mode (so you can play and control them with the faders), and not "mic/line/input mode".
Adjust your levels.
Then set track 4 for record mode.
Make sure the other tracks are in the Tape position.
Also make sure that these are in "safe" mode-so that you don't record over these.
Hit play and record.

If the machine is working right-this should put all 3 tracks onto track 4.

Make up some crap tracks to practice with, to make sure that you don't reacord or possibly erase something that you want to keep.

Tim

I'm not sure, but you may also need to pan tracks 1 thru 3 hard right to record properly on track 4. [You may already know that in order to record on tracks 1 and 3, you need to pan the input left, while input to tracks 2 and 4 are panned right].

Yeah. Pan tracks 1 thru 3 hard right and set the input switches to 'tape' and set the "record function" switch on track 4 to 'buss r'. Have your faders on 1 thru 3 set, then hit play/record.

Could ping ponging work with stereo recordings too (using an 8 track)? Say I have bass on tracks 1 and 2, panned left and right respectively, and drums on track 3 and 4, again left and right?

Back