388 Loading Problem

lowlight

man I wish the old tascam forums were still accessible - I have a demo session today, and, after weeks of completely trouble-free operation, my 388 won't load, ff, rew, play or otherwise do nice things!

when I hit any transport function, the reels just lose tension and nothin happens. I know the answer to this would be on the old board, but if someone could give me an inkling of what I might be able to try, that would be great - I'm really hoping to get this work done today!

thanks
lowlight

Well, not to assume too much right off, but...

you have to make absolutely sure the tape is threaded correctly. Search this bbs on "388" for other posts on loading tape.

Beyond that, if it's not tape loading, it seems to me that you've lost a drive transistor that drives one of the reel motors. HINT: there's two transistors for each reel motor. [Check manual].

That's what it sounds like, just from your description, but sight unseen, it could be something else, undetermined.

However, I had a 388 that did the exact same [sounding] thing, and it did turn out to be a blown transistor. Part cost about $3, repair cost about $125 @ TEAC in LA.

Funny thing, is that I troubleshot the 388 extensively at home, had bought the transistor and everything, and then got frustrated and took it down to TEAC, where they isolated and replaced the transistor I was focusing on for about a week. Haha. That's how I learned my lesson on this one.

One last comment: my failure symptoms were exactly like what you describe as your problem.

Check tape loading, and progress from there. If it's a blown transistor, & if you're a real tech wiz, then just DIY, otherwise Tascam Service/TEAC or an authorized repair center would be best.

Good luck.

thanks ARP - I called my repair guy and he speculated that it's possibly a tension arm setting problem - I'm not up for ripping the thing apart to search for transistor problems, especially since I was planning to bring the machine in to get tweaked tomorrow anyway. Damn! I really wanted to get some demos knocked out to work on while it's in the shop....

life is perverse.

thanks again for the help.

Yeah, the tension arm adjustment could affect your problem, too.

It kind of depends what the 388 does in the split second before it loses tension.

If it seems to move the reels a slight bit, then poop out, [while one of the tension arms hits rock bottom, then yes, it could be the tension arm adjustment.

If it just seems to go "poof" and lose tension when you hit play, [without hint of moving reels], it could be the transistor.

Like I said, sight unseen it's hard to tell.

=======
Okay, my friend, a test:

Load tape, & HOLD TENSION ARMS in place WHILE pressing PLAY, and THEN you should see BOTH REEL MOTORS TURNING, however erratically it may be, that's okay. If both reels turn until you let go of the tension arms, then it's the tension arm adjustment.

IF, by chance, it just goes "poof" and loses tension WHEN you're still holding the tension arms in place, then it's NOT the tension arm adustment, and is more likely a motor drive transistor.

Try that, if you get a chance. It's quick.;)

... that is, test the 388 with tape loaded, while holding both tension arms

from moving. Hold & keep both tension arms from moving away from the 'mid' position, while activating PLAY, RW & FF.

The RIGHT tension arm would have to drop down all the way DOWN, for it to trip the AUTO-STOP circuit.

IF the 388 loses tension, despite your holding both tension arms in place, then I'm afraid it's the motor driver transistor.

Sorry to repeat, but I wanted to be explicitly clear on the details, regarding testing.;)

Back