2488neo compression question

Delmont

How do you make the compression work? I change the settings, but that doesn't change the sound. The peaks remain just as high regardless. Is there something I have to do to engage it after I dial in new settings? I've tried the Save, Yes/Enter, and Send buttons, but they don't seem to do it.

I've seen this question asked on an older post here, but none of the folks who responded actually answered it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
[My notes are in brackets. The manual says:]

SELECTING MIC EFFECTS

1. When the MICX4 key is pressed (regardles sof whether eight or four mic effects have been selected) and the SELECT key of the input or track is pressed, the MIC EFFECT screen is shown.

[A picture reads:]

MIC EFFECT
VOCAL-COMP
threshold: -46.6 dB
Ratio: 70
attack: 25
release: 55
post gain: 30
CMP
Press ENTER to call library.

[End of picture. Picture note: The threshold number rolls from 0 down to -46.6 dB. The rest roll from 0 to 100. I've tried every extreme with no result.]

2. Press the SELECT or INPUT key for the track or input channel to assign the mic effect to it. The MIC EFFECT screen for that channel apprears.

3. Press the YES/ENTER key.

MIC EFFECT LIBRARY SCREEN appears.

[A picture reads:]

MIC EFFECTS LIBRARY
Vocal-Comp [highlighted]
De-esser
Vocal-Exc
Noise Suppr.
MODE: < >
Preset [highlighted] / User / Save

[end of picture]

4. Use the left and right keys to select either to PRESET library, the USER library, or SAVE the current setting. [I usually hit SAVE. I've also tried the machine's SEND and YES/ENTER buttons.]

The basic types of mic effeccts available are:

- Vocal compressor
- Deesser
- Vocal exciter
- Noise suppressor

5. Use the dial to selectthe effect to load )or when saving, the "slot" in which to save.

6. Press YES/ENTER to load (or save) the effect. The selected settings are recalled as mic effect settings fo the current channel, and the MIC EFFECT screen shows the parameters.

Pressing NO/EXIT cancels the load and returns the settngs to the previous parameters.

It appears you got it sort out.
How about (general 'trouble shooting stuff -not knowing the unit
The threshold ought to be low enough (given your track content isn't real low below that?
Try this.
Lose ('zero) the 'post gain. You certainly don't need that unless to restore level due 'lots of gain reduction' grins..
Increase your release- say 500ms (and decrease attack as an option later). '55ms' is just fast enough in some cases to be tough to hear if you happen to not know what it sounds like.
With no post 'makeup gain, and the reduction lasting longer, the effect ought be obvious. (Don't 'spose they mention GR meters?

Note ;>) All this assumes you're not sending a compressor with 'near steady state' content.
(The content has to have peaks shorter than the release, and dips lower than the threshold..

Hm. I think I've tried all that. At least, I've tried dozens of combinations and haven't been able to tame a single peak. There's nothing that says 500ms or 55ms, just on-screen virtual dials that roll from 0 to 100. The decibels are just represented by bouncing vertical bars, and they don't change regardless of where I put any of the knobs.

Back