2488 File transfer via USB

songsj

I was wondering how easy it is to transfer 24 bit .wav files via USB from the Tascam 2488 to a file folder on my computer? Do you just hook up a USB cable and your computer will recognize the 2488 as a device that you can open and move the files from there or what. I bought my 2488 when they first came out and the manuals were not all that clear on how to do some things. Right now I just burn them to CD and move them that way but if all I need to do is hook up a USB cable that would be easier and quicker.

You should be able to do that. I am not a mac man but for pcs, plug in Tascam, go to this/my PC and look for your device. Double click on it and you should be able to look at it, just like any other hard-drive. I tried to find out more for you but your product has been discontinued.

I was wondering how easy it is to transfer 24 bit .wav files via USB from the Tascam 2488 to a file folder on my computer? Do you just hook up a USB cable and your computer will recognize the 2488 as a device that you can open and move the files from there or what. I bought my 2488 when they first came out and the manuals were not all that clear on how to do some things. Right now I just burn them to CD and move them that way but if all I need to do is hook up a USB cable that would be easier and quicker.

Well its a little complicated. The hard drive on the 2448 is partitioned into two parts: the binary partition that it records in and a fat32 partition it has for importing and exporting tracks. What you have to do is make a new folder on the import/export partition, then you have to go and export the track or mix down from the project to that folder, then set the drive to usb mode which parks the multi track partition, mounts the Fat 32 on the usb, and then you will be able to access it.

Well its a little complicated. The hard drive on the 2448 is partitioned into two parts: the binary partition that it records in and a fat32 partition it has for importing and exporting tracks. What you have to do is make a new folder on the import/export partition, then you have to go and export the track or mix down from the project to that folder, then set the drive to usb mode which parks the multi track partition, mounts the Fat 32 on the usb, and then you will be able to access it.

Wow, Sounds like a bit more than I want to do and may not be any quicker than burning an export cd with .wav files. I'm trying to decide right now whether or not to buy a DP24SD or go with the 16x08 interface and do everything on the computer. I am so spoiled with the foot switch punch in and out that is my only hang up with the interface. I do a lot of punching in and out. I guess setting in and out record points might not be to bad but the foot switch sure is slick and easy

Wow, Sounds like a bit more than I want to do and may not be any quicker than burning an export cd with .wav files. I'm trying to decide right now whether or not to buy a DP24SD or go with the 16x08 interface and do everything on the computer. I am so spoiled with the foot switch punch in and out that is my only hang up with the interface. I do a lot of punching in and out. I guess setting in and out record points might not be to bad but the foot switch sure is slick and easy
If you've used an external hard drive or thumb drive to backup and retrieve files from, the 2488 is not much different. The hard drive in the Tascam is simply an external drive where you can access the folders you've put the wav files into. Much quicker than burning a CD. The DP24SD is going to be similar, in that you would still need to copy over the wav files in a folder onto the FAT partition of the SD card, but then you could either transfer via USB from the DP24SD or read the SD card directly with a card reader. If you use a computer and a DAW you'll want to backup projects, which likely might be to an external hard drive, so kind of the same scenario.
If you have a USB cable handy give it a try. Once you get the hang of it, it may not seem too bad.

If you've used an external hard drive or thumb drive to backup and retrieve files from, the 2488 is not much different. The hard drive in the Tascam is simply an external drive where you can access the folders you've put the wav files into. Much quicker than burning a CD. The DP24SD is going to be similar, in that you would still need to copy over the wav files in a folder onto the FAT partition of the SD card, but then you could either transfer via USB from the DP24SD or read the SD card directly with a card reader. If you use a computer and a DAW you'll want to backup projects, which likely might be to an external hard drive, so kind of the same scenario.
If you have a USB cable handy give it a try. Once you get the hang of it, it may not seem too bad.

I think I will give it a try, I just use the 2488 for tracking, once the tracked .wav files get transferred to my computer/DAW everything gets backed up from there. If I can just get the transfer vis USB down I should be good. I will have to look at the manual as I have never move the 2488 files into a folder within the machine.

Took me long enough to try this out. I figured I better since it sounds like the DP24SD transfers in a similar manner except through SD card. Used the manual and it was pretty easy. Not sure how much faster than a cd burn because I only transferred 4 vocal tracks instead of 12 or 16. The lions share of the time is spent while the machine is creating or putting the .wav files into a folder. Kind of like when the machine creates the cd image before burning to cd. Anyway they transferred via USB cable exactly as they should no issues. Still cannot decide if I want to switch over to the 16x08 interface and do it all inside the box. I love the punch in and out foot switch the porta studios offer. I am still surprised the DAW's and interface builders have not addressed this as so many users are their own engineer as well as the artist.

Back