Whats the best VST effects package?

Superhuman

Shagaholic
Looking for a high quality VST package effects to use in SX3.
Requirements:
1. Realism (as far as is possible)
2. Sound quality
3. Ease of use

Any recommendations?

Willing to pay up to 1K max, lower is better;-) Cool link , downloaded those VST's and will experiment, if they are any good I might look at the purchase option.

NL5 Checked the UAD site, those plug-ins look great. You use any of them yourself?

Bah. Close enough. He can go sell some plasma or do one of them med-test things if he can't scrape the extra $$ together. He'll thank me later.

studiomaster said:
Waves Platinum Bundle...

Costs way more than UAD and not nearly as good.

Yes, I use the uad stuff. I have two cards in fact. :)

The compressors are probably the best software ones around.

NL5 said:
Costs way more than UAD and not nearly as good.

Yes, I use the uad stuff. I have two cards in fact. :)

The compressors are probably the best software ones around.

I have a dumb question...what's the use of two cards? I'm really clueless about the UAD stuff...also, how would you add plugins? do you have to get a second card for additional plug ins?

studiomaster said:
I have a dumb question...what's the use of two cards? I'm really clueless about the UAD stuff...also, how would you add plugins? do you have to get a second card for additional plug ins?

The cards are DSP engines that run the plugins - no drain on your CPU. Each card can run only so many plugins, so more cards = more plugins. UAD authorizes whatever plugins you buy to run on all your cards. You can go to their website and purchase additional plugins at any time. Waves cost more, and run off your cpu - plus they don't have mojo like the uad stuff....

NL5 said:
The cards are DSP engines that run the plugins - no drain on your CPU. Each card can run only so many plugins, so more cards = more plugins. UAD authorizes whatever plugins you buy to run on all your cards. You can go to their website and purchase additional plugins at any time. Waves cost more, and run off your cpu - plus they don't have mojo like the uad stuff....

Dammit! I need some mojo. :mad: :p :cool:

NL5 said:
Each card can run only so many plugins, so more cards = more plugins.

How many can one PCI card run? I've no experience with UAD, but I'm thinking my processor and memory can surely run more plugins than a PCI card... probably even more than two cards...

NL5 said:

Awesome...so does that mean: more cards = better cpu performance?

I really need UAD for my PC as i run about 4-5 insert effects per track. ;)

warrengtype said:
How many can one PCI card run? I've no experience with UAD, but I'm thinking my processor and memory can surely run more plugins than a PCI card... probably even more than two cards...

It depends on the plugin. And your cpu can't run ANY uad plugs.

You can still run non-uad plugs with your cpu while using the uad cards to run uad plugs.

studiomaster said:
Awesome...so does that mean: more cards = better cpu performance?

UAD cards run UAD plugs without affecting your cpu performance in any way......

It's kind of a living joke at this point IMO. 8 or 9 years ago, Waves was the sh*t.

Now, it's just really overpriced sh*t.

Thanks for all of the info guys, UAD UltraPak it is. Just before I take the plunge, tell me if I'm doing the right thing... I'm going to sell my Eventide H3000D/SE in order to get this. The Eventide has great effects but there is no flexibility - all destructive processing - as opposed to VST which can be tweaked and untweaked easily. Also, the Eventide has totally antiquated connections - no SPDIF or even 1/4" (easily solved with xlr to 1/4" jacks...). I don't need it in my guitar rig anymore so just have it hooked up as external effects in SX3 at the moment.
I don't want to sell the unit (which is 100% mint) if I'll end up regretting it in a couple of years - I could always try unloading something else or just take the hit upfront. Any opinions? Keep the Eventide or ditch it and go 100% VST?

Back