Whats the best VST effects package?

Superhuman said:
Thanks for all of the info guys, UAD UltraPak it is. Just before I take the plunge, tell me if I'm doing the right thing... I'm going to sell my Eventide H3000D/SE in order to get this. The Eventide has great effects but there is no flexibility - all destructive processing - as opposed to VST which can be tweaked and untweaked easily. Also, the Eventide has totally antiquated connections - no SPDIF or even 1/4" (easily solved with xlr to 1/4" jacks...). I don't need it in my guitar rig anymore so just have it hooked up as external effects in SX3 at the moment.
I don't want to sell the unit (which is 100% mint) if I'll end up regretting it in a couple of years - I could always try unloading something else or just take the hit upfront. Any opinions? Keep the Eventide or ditch it and go 100% VST?

I would keep the eventide, and get the flexi pak for now. Buy more plugins down the road.

I'm not sure how the math works out on flexipak vs ultrapak, but I can't really imagine being without the 1176LN, LA2A, Cambridge, Precision Lim, or even the Fairchild. If I remember right, I started off with the studiopak or whatever it was called and then bought the precision lim later. I don't think the UAD would be able to replace the Eventide though....I even got a Powercore for its reverbs and for the occasional extra EQ/compressor.

And yes, CPUs are getting to the point where they can crush the processing power in a little DSP card; but it is the only way to get the UAD plugins at the moment, and it is still nice to have all that extra breathing room for the CPU. If I had something like a new Core 2 Duo, I would probably think a lot harder about getting the Sonalksis stuff and a load of Voxengo stuff instead, but I still have a lil ol P4 2.66 and it needs the extra help on bigger projects.

keep the eventide. You don't have to use it destructively in cubase. Get flexi pack, but for a limiter I'd go with voxengo elephant 2. It's only like 80 bucks or something stupid, and sounds as good or better than the precision limiter IMO.

Back