using keys to jump between cycle markers on playback

victor lamonde

Many years ago I had the original windows 3.1 version of cubase (thats how long ago it was) and used it in live performances. I seem to recall setting up groups of patterns along the timeline, setting marker points for each group and assigning them to function keys. On playback a key would be pressed and it would cycle between the set markers. if another key was pressed the playback would jump to another preset group but only after the song had reached the end of the current cycle point. This happened whether or not the new cycle markers were before or after the current one.

I also have a suspicion that I was able to do a similar trick with the tracks. Assigning groups of tracks to keys so that by pressing a key combo I could solo or mute different tracks on the fly.

Try as I might I cannot get the same functionality using cubase 6. Is this possible or is it just defective memory?

Hmm. Helpful bunch.

Anyway I managed to install an older version of cubase that will load .arr and .arr files and the loop jumping functionality I was hoping to achieve is not evident. Strike 1 for senility. The group muting has been removed in later versions as well.

I'm pretty sure that people who want a daw for live performances use Ableton live for that sort of thing.

Cubase has changed its focus a few times in the last 25 years. It might still be possible, but since that isn't something that is terribly useful for recording, none of us would know off the top of our heads.

I know there is a way to jump to the next marker, but looping the playback is done between the start and end markers, so that is the snag. I'm not sure there is a way around that.

Back