Uh oh, computer can't handle Cubase!?

JonathanRay

I just recorded 2 tracks of me playing drums. It seems to have recorded them fine, but when I go to play them back, it begins playing the tracks, and then the VST Performance Meter starts going up quickly, then it redlines and stops playing.

There appears to be two meters, the first one always stays low. The one under it (looks like 3 CDs on top of each other) is the one that rises quickly, redlines, and causes my playback to stop. What does this meter mean?

This looks like a bad sign...

I just increased the disk buffers and buffer size options to as high as they can go but I'm still having the same problem. :(

I have in the past used 5400 rpm drives at ata/66 without issue ( cant run ALOT of tracks however 2 should be no problem ( actually have run up to 16 with that setup with out much issue) you may want to check the dma settings to make sure they are turned on ( windows 9.x especially)

just my 2 cents.

Randy

Make sure you have any programs that may be running in the background turned of. Do you have a lot of little icons that show in your Window's taskbar? Playback shouldn't really have much to do with this but can you post your system specs?

JonathanRay said:
I just recorded 2 tracks of me playing drums. It seems to have recorded them fine, but when I go to play them back, it begins playing the tracks, and then the VST Performance Meter starts going up quickly, then it redlines and stops playing.

There appears to be two meters, the first one always stays low. The one under it (looks like 3 CDs on top of each other) is the one that rises quickly, redlines, and causes my playback to stop. What does this meter mean?

This looks like a bad sign...

i would guess that meter is cpu usage. does your comp freeze up to a degree?

Soundcard latency??

Have you tried adjusting the latency your playing back with?

I had a similar problem when using a crappy soundblaster sound card... I really enjoyed stamping on it once I bought I proper one!

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro. 1.4GHz, 40 Gig Hardrive, 256 RAM. (I don't much else.)

There are two meters. The CPU Usage Meter and the Hard Disk Transfer Meter. The CPU Usage Meter stays low. The Hard Disk Transfer Meter is the one that raises, redlines, and stops playback.

Could I get some type of faster USB hardrive?

Thanks!

I had the same problem on my Toshiba laptop (1.8 celeron, 512 ram, 5400rpm 40gig HD). I swapped computers with my kids and now I use a desktop system.

There are several options to increase HD performance. One is to use an external 7200rpm HD, I feel that this really sucks since you loose your portability. Another option is to install a new 7200 rpm HD, its EASY to do. Remove one screw from the bottom of the LT, remove the cover, slide out the OLD and slide in the NEW HD. You should have restore discs wthe your Toshiba, I know that I do! Im waiting for the big box stores to carry them or offer them on sale before I take the plunge.

I would also add another stick of memory. Im maxed out at 512mb.

Good luck.

Back