Trying to hook MPK49 up with cubase elements 7....so many questions...

ELECTRIC-MAYHEM

Hello, I just got a used MPK49 and am attempting to hook it up to Cubase today, with less than satisfactory results.

Here's what I know:

Unit is powered via usb from computer. Blue backscreen is on, as well as orange lights for pitch/mod wheels.
The Vyzex software is downloaded and seems to be installed/running correctly. (I did not receive a startup CD for the unit)
There is some degree of recognition, as I can use the MPK to trigger keyboard sounds on a Cubase track -although I'm not actually sure how I got that to work.

What I CAN'T seem to figure out and cannot find any information on, is why I can't get the transport buttons configured.
Anyone have any insight? Am I better off posting this up in the cubase forum?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, moved to Steinberg forum.

Were you able to select the MPK49 in Devices>Device Setup...(plus sign icon at top left [Add Device])?

Controllers like the Presonus Faderport just worked once the unit was entered here^.

I know the Akai products that I have used have had a separate control panel to change settings. I have never used a keyboard tho. Not sure how to configure.

I am about to purchase one so I am interested in the responses here as well.

Thanks for asking the question. :)

Thanks for moving it.

The Akai wasn't listed among the options for devices so I used "generic remote".
This brings up a dialogue box that asks me for a MIDI in and out. My choices for "input" include: all MIDI inputs, MPK49, or VSL-in1
I chose the MPK49, is this right? I dunno.

Below the check boxes for MIDI in/out are a list of faders, alongside that are tabs "IMPORT, EXPORT, ADD and DELETE" as well as a check-box for "LEARN"
No clue what I'm supposed to do with any of that.

Why the @%#* isn't there a very clear cut video tutorial on this???

Sorry man, I can't help much. I am not a controller/keyboard guy.

I have Maschine and it just works without selecting it at all either.

I am sure someone will come along with some actual answers...

Actually now that I fired up Maschine, it shows after rebooting Cubase. Under Devices>Device Setup...>Remote Devices. Not sure that helps but I at least see it and it seems that control of transport may be set there.

Again I apologize. I just do not know...

Had I known that there were machines that automatically mapped, I would have bought one. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that I wanted to avoid. I'm a pretty good musician, I am NOT a NASA flight control programmer.

I asked everywhere, "what MIDI controller do I want to buy to use with Cubase?". I asked on this forum, I asked at Sam Ash and Guitar Center. The answer was always, "Aw, ya know man they're all the same pretty much, universal, blah blah"

AAAAARGH LOL!!!

Well, since Steinberg and Yamaha are the same company... Sorry, but just saying. lol!

I did see your post about it but had nothing to offer. Now I feel bad.

I am sure there is a way to make it work. Some NASA/Cubase guy will be around soon I am sure. :)

Hold tight man.

What OS are you running? I find it odd that the driver disc is not available from Akai, yet it is obviously needed. Seems you downloaded the only thing available. Maybe you need to make it compatible with your OS? IDK

I am trying to figure this out for you man...

For what it's worth, I wasn't the only one that suggested the Nektar... ;)

Sorry you're having problems dude; is there no documentation as far as an online manual? Have you downloaded the proper drivers, etc? It seems as if there should be some kind of MIDI learn function to map out the faders and knobs but I'm not sure how to do it.

Hey Jimmy, could you tell me what the title of the youtube video is? (we have youtube prohibited on our computer on account of the kids, and I don't even know the password)
I can access youtube on my phone though. I've probably seen it as I have watched about ten youtube tutorials on the subject today, but it's worth a shot.

I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron 570. Cubase Elements 7, Scarlett 2i2.

Yes, pikingrin -there were a couple of votes for the Nectar. I had read some unfavorable reviews of the pads though, and that kept me away. If this Akai doesn't pan out I may reconsider.

As far as the driver goes, I downloaded the latest directly from Akai and had it installed before the keyboard arrived, hoping it would all be plug'n'play. I downloaded the manual as well, but it doesn't go into a whole lot of detail.

I followed along with one youtube video earlier, and it did indeed show me how to rename and assign different functions to the keyboard. But it didn't work for me. The Xfactor here is that this IS a used keyboard, purchased via Ebay (from a reputable seller with high ratings, but still....)

I'm going to try again tomorrow before work when I'm fresher, maybe I am missing something.

It might be a huge PITA but, the way I look at it, the more you'll know when you get it working. Good luck bud, hope it's not a big deal.

For what it's worth, worst case scenario type of thing, the nectar comes with a DVD full of control maps for most of the DAWs on the market now. It took all of 5 minutes to get the info from the disc for Cubase 7 and it was a breeze. Not sure why the pads got a bad review, they work just fine. I'm only a lowly guitar player though...

You have a point there, that I will come out knowing more if i stick with it....but on the other hand there are SO many things I want/need to learn, that I don't want the really technical stuff getting in the way of. Okay, so it's ALL technical maybe, but still...

I contacted the Ebay seller and they are more than happy to take it back, the 30 day guarantee was a big selling point for me to begin with. They even offered to send me a return shipping label so I won't have to come out of pocket to return the Akai, but I don't think I'll take them up on that as I feel that I am probably the defective unit, not the keyboard.

Even with the cost of return shipping I should come out with enough to pick up the Nectar and have a little cash left over, perhaps I could use that to purchase some drum samples.
If it's as easy as you say it is, the whole return process and wasted time will be worth it to avoid the teeth gnashing and hair pulling I'm experiencing now.

I too am "only a lowly guitar player' ha ha, this whole foray into MIDI tech is mainly aimed at producing some passable drum tracks to accompany my music, perhaps the occasional piano track.

I too am "only a lowly guitar player' ha ha, this whole foray into MIDI tech is mainly aimed at producing some passable drum tracks to accompany my music, perhaps the occasional piano track.
That's why I got into the MIDI stuff, too. I've only ever had 2 rigs and the first one I could only hardly get the keyboard to work - it didn't have pads though. This Nektar is completely the opposite, I think all I had to do was drag the control map program into the Cubase folder and it was up and running. There are still some things that I haven't quite figured out but I'm still not 100% sure how to use MIDI learn so that's on me. I'm to the point where the keyboard does everything that I need it to (and a little more), so it's all good. :guitar:

Glad the seller was cooperative though, that'll at least make it a little less of a headache.

That's the same procedure the Nektar uses to set up mapping. Hell, I'd say if it works there's no need to fix it; if you've still got some time left in the return period then play around with the Akai and see how you like it. :thumbs up:

Back